Windows 7 (with loader) and Ubuntu: What's the reliable way to make the Dual Boot?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Dual Boot, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Dual Boot

Dual Boot MDL Novice

Jan 22, 2010
    #1 Dual Boot, Jan 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    I started backing up a Dell Notebook and a PC on which I intend to install the Windows 7 and Ubuntu 9.10. I would have no problem installing only the Windows 7 and applying the Daz Loader, for example, with the following instructions that Daz gave to us:

Code:
    1. Install windows 7 (Don't enter a serial during installation)
    2. Run this as an Administrator (Should prompt you)
    3. Click on Advanced Options (Optional as the program will try to best detect the following for you)
    4. Choose a matching SLIC and certificate (Dell, MSI, etc.) (Optional)
    5. Choose a loader mode (Optional)
    6. Click on the install button (Under software mod)
    7. Wait for the Loader to work and reboot.
    Enjoy !!!!
    But I want to install Ubuntu together with Windows, each one in your own partition. So, I don't know what I have to do, because I think the loader can mess up with Ubuntu installation or vice versa, breaking up the whole system.

Is it Ok if I first install Windows, apply the loader and install Ubuntu ultimately?

If for any reason, can I uninstall the loader without problems with the two OS installed?

What do you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

2. Akko

Akko MDL Junior Member

Aug 21, 2009
    Since many years my reliable way:
    1. PartitionManager on bootable disk to create/resize/hide/unhide partitions
    2. BootStar Bootmanager on bootable disk or reachable

Here's how it works:
    Boot PM to manage <= 3 primary partitions and 1 logical partition with as many log. drives you like for data.
    Before you install any OS on one of the <= 3 partitions, hide the other primary ones with PM.
    When you install Linux make sure you install GRUB in the / root drive, NEVER in the MBR.
    When your OS runs, reboot with PM and unhide all partitions.
    Reboot from HD to check & manage that your OS has access to the full disk now.
    Install BootStar with no hidden partitions but with <= 3 boot options for each OS.

I have Win7, XP and Ubuntu working flawlessly and w/o any messing around between the different OS.