Windows 7 won't sleep

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by altrego99, Jun 8, 2010.

Tags:
  1. altrego99

altrego99 MDL Novice

Jun 7, 2010
    I installed Windows 7 couple of days ago, and I just discovered it does not go to sleep. I have dual booting Windows XP on the same system, and did not have this problem with it.
    Here's the error report from powercfg -energy

System Availability Requests:System Required Request
    The service has made a request to prevent the system from automatically entering sleep.
    Requesting Service CryptSvc

USB Suspend:USB Device not Entering Suspend
    The USB device did not enter the Suspend state. Processor power management may be prevented if a USB device does not enter the Suspend state when not in use.
    Device Name USB Root Hub
    Host Controller ID PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_03F1
    Host Controller Location PCI bus 0, device 2, function 0
    Device ID USB\VID_10DE&PID_03F1
    Port Path

There seem to be two problems both I cannot seem to solve!

1. The USB device prevents Windows 7 from sleeping. I have no device plugged in! I tried checking/unchecking "Allow computer to turn off", disabling it, but does not help.
    2. CryptSvc requests not to go to sleep! I am not at all sure why - this is from a clean boot, I am running Command Prompt and Firefox. However, this should still not prevent suspend manually from start menu, right?

I have been trying for couple of hours to solve these issues. Any help will be appreciated!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. altrego99

altrego99 MDL Novice

Jun 7, 2010
    Update -
    I disabled the following device which matched the id "VEN_10DE&DEV_03F1", and that got rid of the USB related error. It was showing me an unrecognized device in one of the 8 USB ports, whereas no device is attached!

Still I can't seem to enter standby, is it because of the error CryptSvc "has made a request to prevent the system from automatically entering sleep"?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. altrego99

altrego99 MDL Novice

Jun 7, 2010
    Update

I disabled CryptSvc too. Now powercfg -energy returns no error, but still the computer won't go to sleep!

Additionally when I invoke sleep command, because of disabling CryptSvc, somehow the network stops working.

4. altrego99

altrego99 MDL Novice

Jun 7, 2010
    Hello... I think I have found the problem. It was with Hibernate - and it was affecting the setup because my computer was set to sleep in "Hybrid" mode.

Now that I disabled Hybrid, it is working fine. Other notes on things I discovered -
    * Even though CryptSvc is shown with request to block automatic sleep, the computer does go to sleep after scheduled period, which I set to be 2 minutes for the experiment! When it woke up, the check no longer showed the CryptSvc request.
    * "shutdown /h" for hibernate seems to shutdown the monitor permanently till next reboot - but not hibernate
    * "rundll32 powrprof.dll SetSuspendState [0,1,0]" does not seem to work
    * I have created a short c# script to wrap around SetSuspendState for suspending or hibernating from commandline, that seems to work somehow.

5. altrego99

altrego99 MDL Novice

Jun 7, 2010
    PS. Another parameter - it probably depends on the "active" partition. When I boot from the grub menu of the disk where Windows 7 is not installed, standby and suspend work erratically. When I boot directly from Windows 7 hard disk, they work fine!

I will have to figure out how I can "makeactive" the Windows 7 partition from grub2!

6. altrego99

altrego99 MDL Novice

Jun 7, 2010
    No that's not it. I am baffled! Sometimes the sleep command works, sometimes it doesn't! When it doesn't, the monitor turns off, but there is still hard disk and router activity. To add to the mystery, the router indicates LAN connection is active, but when I query it the router about attached devices, it shows nothing!

7. altrego99

altrego99 MDL Novice

Jun 7, 2010
    Thanks griff20. I checked the BIOS and Power Options, and they look alright - i.e. S3 (STR) is enabled in BIOS, and Powers Options are configured for sleep (as given in your first link). Still I have the problem.

Now the problem is that sleep is working most of the time, but failing sometimes. When it fails, the monitor and keyboard goes to sleep, but CPU stays on and I see sparring activity of the hard disk too! Also the router shows LAN is active, but querying the router I cannot see the computer anymore. The only way to recover from there is to reboot.

So far I remember, everytime it failed, uTorrent was running. However running uTorrent doesn't guarantee a fail too. uTorrent is configured to prevent standby when downloads are running. Could it be that standby has a problem with applications trying to prevent it?

8. altrego99

altrego99 MDL Novice

Jun 7, 2010
    Ok I rulled out 'prevent standby' in uTorrent. Standby fails irrespective of whether prevent standby is on, when uTorrent is running. The problem seems to be with uTorrent.

9. armada

armada MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2007
    this will sound maybe wierd to ask but do you have a microsoft mouse? if so is it wireless? many of them prevent sleep from working there is a fix on the ms web site for this. i had this problem, and it was the same with vista in the past and that would be coming from usb also...i know you said you didnt have any devices but some people overlook a mouse as the issue..

10. altrego99

altrego99 MDL Novice

Jun 7, 2010
    Thanks for the suggestion but I do not have wireless mouse (I have PS2 Logitech mouse). I also tried disabling the USB Root Hub and "Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller", but it didn't help.

11. Jachra

Jachra MDL Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Maybe this could help:

Windows 7 does not go to sleep
    support.microsoft.com/kb/976877/en-us

A computer that is running Windows 7 appears to sleep, but then it immediately wakes
    support.microsoft.com/kb/972664

12. altrego99

altrego99 MDL Novice

Jun 7, 2010
    Thanks Jachra. I already saw the recommendations, and tried those steps. Does not seem to solve the problem.

What's wierd is since I completed the download (of Ubuntu iso) in uTorrent, I could not replicate this again! So far looks like it may only happen when uTorrent is running. I guess I will write a script to switch off uTorrent and then standby.

13. altrego99

altrego99 MDL Novice

Jun 7, 2010
    Today windows suddenly popped up a message showing a new driver for my network card (NVidia nForce). Although it is a 2007 November driver, I don't know why Windows did not find it before. I have installed it and things seem to be fine for the moment. However I have not used uTorrent for any download too. I will see how it works out, and bump this thread if I see the standby problem again.