Windows 7 won't update HP Driver thru Windows Update/let me download from HP website

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by mimi08, Jan 28, 2010.

1. mimi08

mimi08 MDL Novice

Jan 28, 2010
    I have a fresh Windows 7 Pro install on a new HD. I'm the Admin..can't install HP driver for J6480 any way I try. If I download from HP, tells me file is corrupt...from Windows Update it fails everyday. I also cannot install Quicken 2010 from CDROM, it starts then fails. About to put my old XP Pro HD back in the computer.

2. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Are you just bitching or do you actually have a question?

I mean if you told us what exactly you expected from opening this thread we might be able to help you...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. mimi08

mimi08 MDL Novice

Jan 28, 2010
    Sorry Help needed

Guess it says Novice for a reason...I'm not sure I'm even remotely in the right place to seek an answer. I've searched Google & Microsoft for my error messages and no luck. Some msgs are exact and some generic, i.e., "file corrupt" for HP download. Windows 7 is an Oct 22 version that I have a license for. Prior to that I had the RC for 2 months, upgraded from Vista, which actually worked with the printer...so I did a fresh install on new HD and have had problems with it seeing the DVD drive (solved), the printer (not solved) and now I can't seem to install a new program. All I do is use the compter, not anything fancy. It took me a month to figure out how to get the wireless Blu-ray to work. Novice and stupid.

4. Melvarius

Melvarius MDL Novice

Sep 21, 2009
    This might help ya. it's worked for me most of the time. Copy the contents of the cd into a folder and change the compatability setting of the setup.exe to a lower OS (xp or Vista) then tick "run as administrator" and try that.

For your printer. If you have the original disk. try installing it that way.
    If you just want the printer drivers. Then goto the start menu, right click on computer and click on manage. then click on device manager. You should at least see your printer in there, under unknown devices I think.
    Right click on the printer device and select update driver, in the window that pops up select browse my computer, then browse to the printers cd make sure "browse sub folders" is ticked and click next.

fingers crossed it finds the drivers and installs them. it might complain that the drivers aren't signed, just allow them.

you should be good to go after that.

It worked for my HP Deskjet 950c.

Hope this helps.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    He's right

You need to run the printer install in compatability mode for Vista or XP - if your printer is fairly new try Vista first.

This is because the install routine either depends on the version number of the OS - 7 is higher than Vista and the install is designed to fail if it doesn't recognize the OS version - OR the install depends on a System DLL which has been renamed or removed - this is where compatability is pretty good - the system redirects the DLL request to the new one that fulfils the necessary functions.

So - if you right click on the install program and choose "Properties ->Compatability->Change Settings for all users" then choose "Compatability mode", try Vista and then tick "Run as administrator" it will most likely work.

6. mimi08

mimi08 MDL Novice

Jan 28, 2010
    Well at 69, I do sometimes misplace my brain. Got up really early this morning and managed to solve both issues. Seems I had Symantec Endpoint proteciton configured incorrectly and it turned on Windows Firewall...Ah ha...turned it off and updated Quicken and installed wireless HP printer. Sorry I was so dense. 18 months of dealing with Vista has made me bitter. Today will be better. Not sure how to mark the post solved?