Windows 7 worked - now it doesn't anymore. Need help please

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Rolyet, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Rolyet

Rolyet MDL Novice

Feb 8, 2013
    Hey guys,

I have a Lenovo Laptop and I installed WIndows 7 ultimate 64bit on my new SSD two month ago and it worked perfectly fine. But since yesterday Windows keeps telling me I need to activate my product! I haven't changed anything at the hardware, nor did it install any Updates I were aware of... Well, now it is like it is and I need a solution.

I tried Windows 7 Loader from DAZ, but since it's a SSD drive, it doesn't work. Then I tried to use WindSLIC, but this doesn't work for me too. Many people had this problem already and could solve it with disabling windows secure boot. But I don't find this option in my BIOS (I can only disable UEFI in BIOS).

I thought about reinstalling windows 7, but currently my win7 dvd is at my other house and I won't get there until next week. So I would really be thankful if someone has a solution without the need of reinstalling windows 7. :)

Greetings,
    Rolyet

2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  3. Rolyet

Rolyet MDL Novice

Feb 8, 2013
    Sorry, totally forgot! Here you go:

:)

4. Rolyet

Rolyet MDL Novice

Feb 8, 2013
    #4 Rolyet, Feb 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2013
    (OP)
    Found something that worked PERFECTLY for me! Here is the link to the programm. If you start the activator, follow the instructions 1to1 (I didn't at the first time and it didn't work. But when I did and restartet after "RemoverWAT" Windows was perfectly activated. :)

Remove the * from http (can't post links cause of post limitation). Hope that helps everyone who has the same problem as me! :D

5. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    That is the worst thing you could have used i,e, a so called activator that used RemoveWAT it does not activate your system, and now you will have more bother trying to remove it. You should have waited untill Daz or some other member had replied. You will now probably need to run WAT-Fix-Fix-your-activation-problems and maybe even a repair install :(

6. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    I tend to interpret "everyone" here as "the inexperienced". What "everyone" needs to do is listen to those whom you believe capable of helping you. If you're not going to do that, why ask in the first place?

7. Rolyet

Rolyet MDL Novice

Feb 8, 2013
    Well, I didn't had the time to wait. I asked in other forums and it looked like nobody could help me with that issue, especially cause i have a SSD with UEFI and the only solution all people told is that you had to make a full hard drive formation with MKR (or what it is called). And a new installation wouldnt work for me, because I actually dont have my windows 7 dvd around here and I dont find any mirrors for windows 7 64 bit anymore. :(

Well, if you still have a solution that might work, just post it here please. Maybe it's still possible with the WAT-Fix-Fix-your-activation problems.

8. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    It does work on SSD's. It's how the drives been formatted that effects if the loader will or won't work on UEFI. The read me file supplied with the loader details on how to format it correctly to work with UEFI.

WindSLIC was another thing you tried, and that might of worked if your drive was EFI. All you needed to do was revalidate online with Internet Explorer.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Rolyet

Rolyet MDL Novice

Feb 8, 2013
    That's the problem, I used WindSLIC and tried to validate over IE and it didn't work. Another problem is I don't have my windows 7 dvd here, so I couldn't format my SSD like your description explains and I need a running system right now for my studies (so my time really was limited :()

Well, right now the system is running good. Let's hope I won't have any troubles cause of removing WAT.

10. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    As Will Shakespeare said, "All's well that ends well."

11. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #11 Daz, Feb 8, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
    We would of needed to see another report with WindSLIC added, since it has a few different installers. Different machines have different results with each.

RemoveWAT doesn't actually remove WAT. You'd think it does with it's name, but if you attempt to run any kind of genuine check or use Microsoft Security Essentials then you'll be flagged as non-genuine as your system isn't activated at all right now. Like I said in another thread, RemoveWAT is the reason I had to create WAT Fix as it leaves the system in a mess. It's also why Windows Loader will refuse to install onto systems that have applied RemoveWAT, since them systems will go non-genuine and I don't want false reports of the loader not working due to the users system being in a poor state.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. Rolyet

Rolyet MDL Novice

Feb 8, 2013
    Well, can you guys tell me what could happen in the worst case because of removing WAT? I tried to google it, but it doesn't look like many people are afraid of using it and talk in a very positive way about it. I only saw people arguing what is "better" (BIOS Mod, DAZ, WindSLIC, WAT Remover etc.). All I could find out that it's a software solution for "activating" windows 7, while the others are a BIOS solution or something "between" BIOS and Software and are saver in terms of keeping the system updated etc.

Help is still appreciated and I'm willing and happy about learning more about those programs and how they do work (but only the simple things I can understand, hehe). :)

13. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #13 Daz, Feb 8, 2013
    Like I said, it doesn't actually remove WAT. People outside of MDL are under the impression that it does due to it's name, but these people are people that will run just about anything on their PC without any technical knowledge as to what the software actually does. What I can tell you is that RemoveWAT messes up system file names, permissions and more and it can't even uninstall itself correctly which is why we don't allow it at MDL.

BIOS mod = Activation
    Loader = Activation
    RemoveWAT = Hacktivation (without actual activation) as the systems in limbo until WAT kills it again

A BIOS mod and a loader will make the system look like a real OEM PC. The difference between them is that a BIOS mod loads a SLIC into memory from the BIOS and a loader is a silent boot loader/manager that injects a SLIC into memory before Windows boots. The result is exactly the same, but ones a software solution (the loader) where as the other requires you to modify your hardware.

14. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Worst case: you system will be detected as non genuine and after a certain period of time will go into reduced functionally mode. For all practical purposes it will become useless.

15. Rolyet

Rolyet MDL Novice

Feb 8, 2013
    So if I fix my RemoveWAT, is there any way to use DAZ without formating my SSD or using a win7 DVD? Or do you have a working link to windows 7 (professiona or ultimate) I could download and burn an dvd image? I would be really thankful.

And thanks for the nice explanation of what those programs are doing. I thought that I still get genuine with this programm, because it uses a win7 activator (version 5) with the Hazar option 2 which looked to me like genuine.^^

16. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #16 Daz, Feb 8, 2013
  17. Rolyet

Rolyet MDL Novice

Feb 8, 2013
    Which Win 7 do you suggest? One with media refresh or integrated? I really don't know the difference. :)

About UEFI: Strange, my bios says it's enabled. :/

Going to try out your tips now. I will give feedback if it works

18. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #18 Daz, Feb 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  19. Rolyet

Rolyet MDL Novice

Feb 8, 2013
    Ah well, then it looks like I cant prevent reinstalling windows 7 and formating. Well, I download win7 first and maybe I have the time tommorrow to make a clean installation with the explanation you gave me. :)

Btw. I can disable UEFI in BIOS. Would that do the trick or can't I boot anymore when I disable it?

Thanks so far.

20. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Disabling UEFI would do the trick so that you can install Windows 7 without UEFI, but simply disabling the option won't fix your current setup.

It seems to me like your system either has a locked down OEM partition so WindSLIC installation fails, or your BIOS is rewriting the SLIC at a later stage in the boot process which makes it look like WindSLIC's done nothing. And I don't think WindSLIC has the option to ignore the existing SLIC like Windows Loader does, so your only options are to disable UEFI or to try to get the BIOS modded.