Windows 7 x64 Driver install woes (even for a USB drive?!!)

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ph03n!x, Dec 1, 2008.

1. ph03n!x

ph03n!x MDL Member

Apr 21, 2008
    #1 ph03n!x, Dec 1, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
    Hey all.. have been using Win7 build 6801 x64 version for over a week now. Am having problems in having device drivers getting installed.

Windows Update found a driver for something called ATK01 (Mine is an Asus P5B deluxe), but fails installing it. Windows Update also has updated drivers for the Marvell Yukon PCI-E Network adapter (Built-in) and my GeForce 8400 - but all the drivers fail to install.

THe worst part - I plugged in a USB Flash-memory stick (that for sure works!) and the device manager had it without installing the driver. "Update driver" finds the driver but fails to install it. I have tried with a few more flash drives, all show the same problem. Whats funny is that another USB drive works fine - the one I had plugged in right after I installed Win7...

Not sure if this is related - but my external HDD never gets "Safely removed", it is always in use or something like that. Another USB Flash memory drive (that gets detected and works) gets safely removed though.

Any clues?

2. andacb

andacb MDL Novice

Jun 30, 2007
    Hi,

Every time I have a problem with a driver install or a driver cannot be installed, I disable my antivirus utility (NOD32) and try to install the driver again. And every time it works.. I hope this is the same for your case..

Andac

3. ph03n!x

ph03n!x MDL Member

Apr 21, 2008
    Hey thanks for the suggestion - i tried disabling my McAfee Enterprise 8.5i, but that didnt work. Am gonna try uninstalling it. Dont remember when this started - i was able to install a few drivers right after i installed Win7...

4. Belarathon

Belarathon MDL Senior Member

Nov 21, 2007
    Did you ever run any of the alpha and beta Vistas a few years ago? It's the same thing all over again. The driver issues will undoubtedly be resolved by RTM. I know your frustration - the only reason I'm not using 6801 is that my Remote Wonder drivers won't install. The same drivers install without issue on W2K8 and Vista x64 editions. Go figure.

5. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    its because the drivers check for the OS version. Windows Update still identifies Windows 7 as Windows Vista Business x64 so that is why some drivers will not install.

Since Windows Vista is 6.0.6001 and Windows 7 is 6.1.6841 drivers that check the OS version through an installer will not work. The only way to get these drivers to work is to extract the registry entries for the drivers/service in Vista x64 and then import them into Win7

6. ph03n!x

ph03n!x MDL Member

Apr 21, 2008
    But, even the USB Mass Storage device driver? More so, I have one working - and i plugged it in right after i installed Win7. The ones am trying to get to work off late are not getting installed...

dont know if it is something i did - would probably format...