Windows 7 x64 Freeze

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Carel, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Carel

Carel MDL Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Hi, I have some problem with only Windows 7 x64. When I open any application, such as Internet Explorer, FireFox, Opera or even Netscape, the rest of the computer stops responding, except the web browser that's currently open. This is very weird, it doesn't happen when I open Windows Mail. I first thought that Internet Explorer was the cause, so I installed Opera. Once I open it, the start menu's button doesn't work or respond, I cannot access any other minimized application in the taskbar, nothing seems to be responding, except the web browser that's running. Basically, if I want to go on the Internet, I can ONLY use the web browser, until I close it, I can't use anything else. This isn't the Add-Ons in IE, because, as said, FireFox & Opera also does this. Even when just opening the application, it immediately stops the computer. Does anyone know why this is happening??? I used Google & it seems that a lot of people are experiencing this... I've even formatted my PC sevral times, the problem just occur again... After some time. This must be some application, but I just can't seem to find out what... Oh, it also happens in SafeMode, if I open a Web Browser (not even connected to the internet). Any ideas?

2. gentoo

gentoo MDL Senior Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Please give some detailed computer specs. It will help diagnose the problem.

3. moosh101

moosh101 MDL Junior Member

Jul 13, 2009
    #3 moosh101, Nov 24, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
    Windows Freeze

Hi,

This could be caused by a number of issues specific to your computer, such as faulty RAM, bad sectors on your hard disk, etc. But due to the fact that this seems like more of a widespread problem it could have more to do with driver compatibility. Make sure you have the latest Windows 7 x64 drivers from your device manufacturers for all your devices, this includes your motherboard chipset drivers, LAN and/or modem drivers, sound drivers, input drivers, printer drivers and video drivers. While the Microsoft drivers that install with Windows are usually OK, the drivers that are provided by the manufacturer are usually more up to date. If this does not fix the problem you could post a question on the TechNet forum and ask a Microsoft Engineer about it.

Also have you tried adjusting your power settings? While this may sound trivial, I have read that it helped others with their Windows 7 freezing problems. Go to your power management panel, and choose "high performances". It's default is 'Balanced' and this tends to turn off devices and reduce CPU usage after certain periods of time.

Good luck,

Shane.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. FABIGUI

FABIGUI MDL Member

Jun 2, 2007
    I have the same problem was the wifi card I just remove it and the problem was gone. Do you use a wifi card?

5. Hackeur

Hackeur MDL Senior Member

Jun 14, 2009
    some of the "green" functions in Windows 7 + "green" functions in the BIOS motherboard seem to send some machines in a comatose state.
    If updating your drivers or Shane suggestions does not work, you may have to go in the BIOS and disable CPU throttling and power saving features.

6. Carel

Carel MDL Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Hi, my PC specs are as follows:
    MSI P35 Platinum Motherboard
    4GB {2x 2GB} SuperTalent DDR2, 800Mhz @ 4-4-4-12
    Intel Q6600 CPU
    ATi Radeon HD 4870
    Realtek 8111B LAN - I'm not using it.

I do know that all my system components, such as the RAM are running smoothly, without errors. The CPU is absolutely fine, as well as the motherboard. The Hard drives are in a 100% condition.

The Power settings for my PC are already on High Performance. I understand that this may cause problems for some users, as the Balanced & Power saving modes may activate the C1E & EIST feature of the CPU & cause latency to increase, causing the system to become "less snappy"... This however isn't the case with me...

I don't use WIFI, nor LAN. I use Bluetooth, EDR Class 1. All my drivers are up to date, latest driver for everything. I've got 3 OSses on my PC: Windows XP x86, Windows 7 x86 & Windows 7 x64. I only experience the problem in Windows 7 x64. Windows 7 x86 are fine, as well as Windows XP. This is the only problem I seem to have with Windows 7 x64. I don't think it's a hardware related problem, nor a driver problem. It does not occur if I format, but after some time {2 weeks maybe}, it suddenly happens. Right now, at this moment, I'm in x64 & currently the systems is not responding to anything, except Internet Explorer... I do have an Anti-Virus -> Kaspersky. I think this is some bug in Windows 7 x64, which causes problems {obviously only on some systems}, because a lot of other users are also complaining about this. Some even says that it's Adobe Flash Player, I've uninstalled it & the problem is still the same, once IE, Opra, FireFox, etc is opened, the rest stops responding. It's almost the feeling of a program wanting only it's own attention from the CPU... I can't even launch Task Manager, it just doesn't open if I press CTRL + SHIFT + ESC. CTRL + ALT + DEL does work, but if I click on task manager, it opens, but doesn't respond to any clicks. Basically, there's no error messages, no other problems, except this?

7. Gethsemane

Gethsemane MDL Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Get rid of Kapersky AV. I've heard nonstop problems from people using this AV with Windows 7 x64. It's probably your culprit. Has any warnings came up or anything since you've had Kapersky? Possible it deleted system files. I've been using Microsoft Security Essentials since 7 launched and have had no problems; then again I'm an avid Firefox user so not worried too much about viruses/malware.

8. Carel

Carel MDL Member

Oct 11, 2009
    #8 Carel, Nov 24, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
    (OP)
    Ok, will try to uniostall it, but the one I have is not running. I've set it to not start with windows, so it doesn't start with windows, but I'll try to unistall it quickly & see what happens. :)

....EDIT

I've unistalled Kaspersky & the problem still occurs. The wierd thing about it all is the fact that it also happens is safemode...

9. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    if it happens in safe mode it might be a driver, does it happen right out of the box?

10. gentoo

gentoo MDL Senior Member

Oct 6, 2009
    I would run some test on your CPU. If the CPU is having some issues it will show its ugly head in X64 before x86.

11. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Uninstall your drivers one by one. Do graphic driver next to last, and chipset driver last. After every uninstall check if the issue persists.

Did you install newest chipset drivers from MSI site ? Check the site for latest P35 chipset drivers for win7 x64.

12. FABIGUI

FABIGUI MDL Member

Jun 2, 2007
    So, if you don't use wifi or lan, try to branch a cable directly to de computer and see if it works, just try. Other thing could be iis the ram try check it.

13. supdrmann

supdrmann MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    Noticed same prob here.
    It happens to me with websites that are full of scripts and flash.
    Since i take out my wifi stick and used lan directly, no crash happen to me anymore (till now).

14. FABIGUI

FABIGUI MDL Member

Jun 2, 2007
    Try it for some days and feedback, I don't experiment the same problem with 32 bit OS.
    With Windows Udate happens too.

15. moosh101

moosh101 MDL Junior Member

Jul 13, 2009
    Windows 7 Freeze and Java 32-bit

Hi,

It could be very well related to Java, as its currently 32bit. If you have installed Java look in your control panel and you will see a link to the Java console that says Java (32-bit). Some websites that use Java can cause freezing issues as they try to run their scripts. You could adjust your internet and Java settings to show you error messages and this will give you the option to stop troublesome scripts if they are causing problems.

I hope this helps,

Shane.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  16. FABIGUI

FABIGUI MDL Member

Jun 2, 2007
    I don't think so because, this happens to me with utorrent also and this software don't use Java.

17. crzzui

crzzui MDL Novice

Feb 16, 2008
    @Carel

I wonder if you use Internet Download Manager?

I run Windows 7 x64 and if I turn on "Advanced Browser Integration" in Internet Download Manager I get exactly the effect you describe - launching any browser causes everything else to freeze. If I turn off "Advanced Browser Integration" and reboot everything works correctly.

18. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Which would become apparent if one would just look in the events log...
    Never mind...

19. FABIGUI

FABIGUI MDL Member

Jun 2, 2007
    Just one more question why does only happens this with wireless connection? The other way works fine.

20. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    This is almost certainly a driver issue. Probably some service can't get started because of a corrupt or malfunctioning driver- or systemfile.
    Had a similar issue with a printerdriver which made the Service Control Manager Service crash. After looking in events log, I could identify the appropriate driver and service, and resolved it in 5 minutes.

So please, let's stop guessing here, and look in the thing they call events viewer. It says when an error occurs and gives an event-id, which is there to give one the opportunity to identify the cause of the issue.
    The trial and error method doesn't work that well when dealing with crashes. Isn't that obvious ? A focussed search, top to bottom, is the best way to find the cause, starting in the events log.