Windows 7 x64 in overdrive - TOP GEAR configuration

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Hackeur, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Hackeur

Hackeur MDL Senior Member

Jun 14, 2009
    #1 Hackeur, Nov 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  2. yngdiego

yngdiego MDL Member

Feb 14, 2008
    OR, just use a VM, install W7 and revert to a prior snapshot when you power the VM off. Erases any bloat, cookies, data, etc.

3. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Very nice. Allthough I would never use this on a daily basis.
    No browsing history (I need that), saved logins on websites (i need that too).
    I have opt-out cookies for all the bad ones and update that every week, so bloat is not an issue regarding browsing.

There are just certain cons when using this configuration every day.

As a dual booted system though it can be usefull, actually very usefull.
    And it really flies. Slower boot though, but that's small grunt in comparison.

Gonna remember this thread. I'm gonna need it...

+1

4. bbz_Ghost

bbz_Ghost MDL Novice

Jun 5, 2007
    Or just build a decent i7-based machine with 24GB of DDR3 and run Windows 7 in a VM that sits on a 20GB RAMdisk like I do from time to time. You ain't never seen a machine so fast...

Sorry, but people that want to feel "the real power of Windows 7" would never gut it like a fish the way that OP suggests. It's a bit silly to have such a nice OS and then wreck it in so many ways to get a few percentage decimal points of improvement.

It works just fine the way it is.

(Disclaimer: I've been using RAMdisks for OSes since ~1985 when I ran my Amiga 500 off one, and even today it's still the only personal computer that has EVER had the native ability to boot the operating system off the RAMdisk. Think about that: nearly 25 years have gone by and we still can't boot our personal computers off an OS sitting in RAM - but I could do it in on that Amiga 500 so long ago, out of the box. And I regularly construct machines for photo service bureaus with 24GB of RAM or more and put the OS in a VM that resides on a virtual hard disk that exists purely in RAM - there is nothing faster.)

Amiga. Still the best personal computers ever made...

5. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    If I would have to choose between a $1000 i7 system with 24gb ram and all the whistles and bells, or a simple dualboot with the above config, I would definitely choose the latter. For daily use what u suggest is pure overkill to say the least. The config suggested by OP in a dualboot on the other hand, is an elegant solution for certain tasks, cause u wont need it on a daily basis.
    As u said, win7 x64 is fine just the way it is, so why spend a pile of money for something u actually don't need except showing off.

My two cents

6. Hackeur

Hackeur MDL Senior Member

Jun 14, 2009
    I'd love to have such a machine - but out of curiosity where to you get 4GB 16000 DDR3 single ram sticks?
    and I suspect a single stick would cost nearly the same as the CPU (Australia) when available.

please note this is not intended for a mainstream system, it is a dual boot configuration.
    I use it for Cinema 4D, Photoshop and video editing.

I also use 2~3GB Vm XP machines in Ram as sandboxes.

7. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    #7 Mr Jinje, Nov 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017