Windows 7 x64 - MSE has stopped working

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Carel, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Carel

Carel MDL Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Hi, have anyone ever experienced the error message: "Microsoft Security Essentials has stopped working" when trying to install Microsoft Security Essentials on Windows 7 x64? Is there some place where I can download an older version (I have v1.0.1961.0) of MSE perhaps or it there something else I can do?

2. gunducirix

gunducirix MDL Novice

May 5, 2009
    Did you install MSE x64 on Windows 7 x64? If you install MSE x86 on Windows 7 x64, please reinstall it then try to install MSE x64!

3. p0rkguy

p0rkguy MDL Novice

Oct 11, 2009
    Try restarting. It happened to me once when an update for MSE was installed. It wouldn't start running again until I restarted and it was running automatically.

4. Carel

Carel MDL Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Hi, I have tried to install the x64 version of MSE, and I have restarted my pc several times. It immediately closes the moment I click on validate. It looks like I'll have to install some other AV.

5. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Personally im not a fan of MSE. I would definately reccomend another AV solution IMHO.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    @ alextheg, personally i did try it on my own machine running windows 7 ultimate though why not if your machine is activated e.c.t i had no problems with it and also with window built in firewall but on my wife's XP machine it kept freezing and locking uo the machine. For myself now i just use avast free edition and Malwarebytes Anti Malware and windows firewall. As a person who usually does unattended install savast works before i always used symantec corporate but you need different versions i,e, x64 or x86. personally i really think it is down to individual i,e some savvy on their part.

7. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    I use the same combo. Avast 4.8 now Avast 5.0 and Malwarebytes + windows firewall. 2 years with no problems. Avast is rock solid, IMHO. Used MSE and had malware in no time.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...