Windows 7 x64 Random Resets

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Carel, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Carel

Carel MDL Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Hi everyone,
    I recently replaced my AMD Radeon HD4870 with an nVIDIA GTX560 and at the same time bought a Seagate ST2000VX000 2TB. I downloaded the latest drivers (320.49) and installed them. Since then my computer would just randomly restart as in completely restart, I will not see a BSOD, it would just start to boot from the BIOS again. However when I log back into windows it gives me a message telling me that there had been a crash (BSOD) even though I did not see any blue screen of death. I've tested my RAM - 100%, I've run Intel's Linpack - 100% and I've run furmark on the GPU and 100% no crashes. This only happens when the system is in idle. I also have Windows XP and I've used it the whole day without it happening once.

My question is where do I start tracing the problem because the Event log doesn't really tell me much it only gives a motherly long memory address and that's about it?

2. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #2 PhaseDoubt, Sep 4, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
    Set your computer to not automatically restart on fault. The default is to restart; you need to see the BSOD and the information regarding what is causing the fault.

Computer>Properties>Advance Settings>Startup and Recovery>Settings ... uncheck "Automatically Restart" then reboot and wait for the blow up.

3. Carel

Carel MDL Member

Oct 11, 2009
    My system is always set to not automatically restart, even if it wasn't - I should at least be able to see a BSOD before it restarts.

4. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    The new card might suck too much power. What is your PSU?

5. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    very good point, the psu could literally be sucking itself dry. Depending on what it is of course.

6. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    ive seen this before and only way around it was to place old card back in .. uninstall drivers for ATI then replace card for nvidia.

u can also try F8 VGA low graphics mode then try to uninstall ati drivers if it lets u.

7. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    its the stupid ATI drivers.. seen it before.

8. supaduper

supaduper MDL Member

Jul 3, 2011
    ATI and Nvidia have a lot to answer for sometimes :angry2:

9. Carel

Carel MDL Member

Oct 11, 2009
    I formatted and re-installed Windows, but the problem still occured. The power supply theory didn't make sense to me anyways because like I said in my first post - if it doesn't happen on Windows XP, then it shouldn't happen in Windows 7. It's really not as if Windows XP would cause the system to draw SOOO much less power. Anyways, it happens when the system is idle. I can run both IntelBurnTest(linpack) and Furmark GPU stress test at the same time and the system would not reset. So a PSU issue is definitely no issue here because it happens at random when I am moving opened windows around on the screen.

However I did notice that I am using the driver from the DVD that came with my card on Windows XP and the newer downloaded 320.49 on Windows 7. So I downloaded the 296.10 driver and it has since been fine. It's been running now for two days, so it must ahve been a driver issue. I've tested the beta driver 326.98 and it does exactly the same. I would like to know how other GTX 560 users experience this newer versions on their Windows 7 x64 system, because for me they have one big annoying glitch. This will not necessarily happen if you have the same version installed. I think it's more a question of wheter you have both the same card as I and the same driver version. I am not used to nVIDIA having glitches or driver problems, it's mostly AMD that does.