Windows 7 x64 RTM Install BSOD just before 2nd Restart...

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by sansini, Aug 8, 2009.

1. sansini

sansini MDL Novice

Oct 4, 2008
    Hi All,

I have a custom built desktop PC with an ASUS M3N78-VM Motherboard. I had Vista installed on it before, and wanted to get Win 7 X64 RTM onto it.
    I downloaded one of the BIOS SLIC 2.1 rom's for the board, flashed using afudos and off I went...

The problem I have is that during the installation of Win 7 x64 RTM, it blue screens just before the 2nd restart 'completing installation'. It blue screens with what looks like an nVidia .dll or similar error (it's too fast to get the full description).

I've tried 2 different BIOS SLIC 2.1 mods - 1 of which is confirmed to work by multiple users on here to make sure it wasn't the bios rom causing it.
    I've also tried to re-run the installation 3 times and each time is the same.
    The disc I am using has installed fine on 2 other PC's so it's a bit confusing.

I've just tried re-installing Vista x64 and that went through all ok.

Does anyone know the likely causes of BSOD's at the 2nd restart stage, or has anyone else experienced similar issues?

Many thanks, Sansini.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    Ever thought about a bad burn ?

3. sansini

sansini MDL Novice

Oct 4, 2008
    I did, but as I said in the post "The disc I am using has installed fine on 2 other PC's so it's a bit confusing."

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to burn another copy off though.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. jackdor

jackdor MDL Member

Jun 20, 2009
    or your dvd reader giving up the ghost being that it worked on other computers

5. sansini

sansini MDL Novice

Oct 4, 2008
    I have a few spare DVD readers, so may try a new burned disc and also another DVD drive just to be sure. Fingers crossed...

6. shinigami7th

shinigami7th MDL Novice

Sep 7, 2008
    driver conflict is the only thing i can think of... win7 is new, so i can understand if some driver refuse to work properly. since you mention nvidia driver, some gfx card manufacturers did change a lot from the standard reference board, hence the win7 default nvidia driver might not be the source of the problem. otherwise, try to reset BIOS settings, ensure tight fit on all connections and RAMs.... if that still fails, i have no idea....

7. AtlasFBG2

AtlasFBG2 MDL Novice

Jan 31, 2009
    I have this same problem on a toshiba laptop.The 64 bit rtm will bsod but the 32 bit version installs fine.
    I am going to slipstream the windows updates into the 64 bit rtm disk and see if that will work.

8. micky1punch

micky1punch MDL Junior Member

Jul 24, 2009
    remove any hardware that is not needed whilst you install, if you have onboard graphics as well as pcie use them instead etc etc,, might be worth a try...

good luck!

9. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    you should be able to select disable automatic restart on system failure suing the f8 key

10. Epsylon3

Epsylon3 MDL Novice

Jul 15, 2009
    Check in your bios if SATA disk is in EHCI mode.... You need SATA or IDE Mode to start Windows.... even Windows 7 erf...

I had this problem because my DVD Drive is SATA too... and could be bootable only in EHCI... So i install in EHCI and then, after the reboot, i need to switch back in SATA standard mode...

11. RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP MDL Senior Member

Feb 24, 2010
    You mean AHCI. (No such thing as "EHCI") And Windows 7 supports AHCI out of the box, at least with P43 and ICH10 chipsets.

Likely would be fine in AHCI, unless your PC is newer than July, 2009. Because it likely will not recognize chipsets newer than the Windows 7 RTM date.