Windows 8.0 -> 8.1 OEM Clean Install?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by CODYQX4, Sep 25, 2014.

1. CODYQX4

CODYQX4 MDL Developer

Sep 4, 2009
    #1 CODYQX4, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
    I've never dealt with OEM:DM in any way, shape or form, so I wanted to ask.

I have a Laptop I need to get Windows 8.1 Core (has Windows 8.0 Core legit OEM:DM) on, and Windows Update is acting funny even after a refresh (of course the store forces you to update before you get 8.1 there).

If I put Windows 8.1 on a USB (now this Laptop is UEFI and causes my Easy2Boot to not work), and format and install 8.1 clean, will it pick up the OEM activation?

I tried to load the ISO from within Windows and it said the key could not be verified. All this, and the fact MS new account took 10 tries to get to "verify account", has lead to MS making for a really stressful day.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Insert a generic install key during clean installation, then the OEM DM key should be picked up, if not, use this tool to read the key and insert it manually.

3. LostED

LostED SVF Patch Lover

Jul 30, 2009
    #3 LostED, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  4. s1ave77

s1ave77 MDL Guide Dog/Dev

Aug 15, 2012
    #4 s1ave77, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    #1. Win 8.1 Setup doesn't gather the key automatically, needs to be entered after Setup with generic install key.

#2. To be able to upgrade via ISO afaik an ei.cfg is needed specifying the EditionID:

Code:
    [EditionID]
    Core
    [Channel]
    OEM
    [VL]
    That way i was able to enable upgrade on a Win 8 ProfessionalWMC system, which refused the update without that ei.cfg.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Imoe, Rufus is an effective tool to accomplish that task, why not giving a try?:cool:

6. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    #7 murphy78, Sep 25, 2014
    I haven't used Easy2Boot, but Rufus has fat32 formatting settings.
    If you wanna get all nerdy, you could do it manually:
    Code:
    diskpart
    list disk
    select disk 69
    clean
    create partition primary
    format fs=fat32 quick
    assign
    exit

7. CODYQX4

CODYQX4 MDL Developer

Sep 4, 2009
    #8 CODYQX4, Sep 25, 2014
    (OP)
    The missing Core part seemed to be the fix. I had already changed channel from VL to OEM (because I'm using my x64 ALLSKU ISO I made of 8.1 Update 1 with Enterprise and ProWMC added in, with .NET 3.5 activated), and set VL to false.

Looks like it is working from ISO. My luck though is this slow laptop will take 2 hours and fail. I've had Windows Update trouble from hell.

8. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    Yeah, on my older Asus notebook the upgrade (Win 8 ProWMC to 8.1 ProWMC) was performing about two hours, then a last reboot ... 'Setup couldn't complete - reverting to Win 8' :cool2:. Can really be a PITA.

Hope you have more luck :good3:.

9. CODYQX4

CODYQX4 MDL Developer

Sep 4, 2009
    It's a new company laptop too. MS is becoming a waste of time and money.

Funny I could upgrade a bunch of iMacs to 10.9 though, and the only significant problem was the Mail app acting quirky for a bit.

XP to 7 on a Desktop, hell no, had to clean install and spend days getting a special/important app working again.

This laptop, hell no, everything that could possibly go wrong not only has, but has gone wrong TWICE.

Not to mention how nice it is that you can download the latest OS X update with the latest system update, instead of 3GB of updates right out of the box. Oh God how I've always hated the over-engineered pile of s**t that is Windows Update. I've nuked PCs before just to fix issues with it, and apparently I see sometimes that isn't gooe enough.

Just wait, it'll finish this upgrade after I did a PC Refresh, and Windows Update will f**k it up again.

10. CODYQX4

CODYQX4 MDL Developer

Sep 4, 2009
    Well I booted into Windows 8.1 after doing the upgrade from ISO (Kept Nothing). I entered the Default Key on boot, then reinstalled the OEM key and saved that backup.

At this point I have little faith, as worthless piece of crap Windows Update is yet again doing the whole 0KB total, 0% complete thing. That so far after a gazillion years, has led to them finally installing, rebooting, slow as hell apply, then a failed to apply loop.

I'd bet 70% chance that happens again.

PS: I've already tried that diagcab WU troubleshooter from MS, it hasn't fixed the issue so far.

11. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    Interestingly i had such problem with Win 8 Update but not with Win 8.1 so far (although there are other flaws).

12. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    When that happens here, I am actually watching the network prior to checking for updates. It does actually download something but stays at zero. I do a reboot after the network stops and start WU again and it appears all good. Odd behavior for sure.

13. KNARZ

KNARZ MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2012
    WU seems a bit buggy at the moment. - I also used a W8.1 with Update Version and It also recommends me to Download Update 1 (the 125MB Package). Doesn't make sense as it's the version with integrated Update 1.

14. CODYQX4

CODYQX4 MDL Developer

Sep 4, 2009
    I use an integrated Update 1 MSDN ISO as well.

That update is probably the "August Update", also they rereleased that one because they BSOD'd a lot of people's machines with it.

15. KNARZ

KNARZ MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2012
    Was this really Update 1 in August? KB2919355 (same KB for several Packages - offered over WU was the 125MB package)

16. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    After releasing that 'Update 1' ISO MS added several more updates to the Update 1 package and WU reports them all as Update 1 aka KB2919355 although it's trying to install one of the later added ones or even only updates some language components. That lead to a lot of confusion.

With August Update they FUBARed it completely :cool2:.

17. KNARZ

KNARZ MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2012
    FUBARed lol... just learned a new word. ;)
    Yes it really become complex and untransparent.... and sometimes doesn't make sense at all.
    I would be happy if everybody can close the Win8 Chapter and can start with Win9 or something other.

18. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    Indeed. Once you get the negativity train rolling, there's no stopping it. It doesn't matter if they make a Super Happy Start Menu with Jesus Sprinkles, people will still think it sucks because they've heard so much trash talking. There's a psychology thing about people refusing to change their minds because of the feeling of a lost investment. In this case, they've invested so much energy into disliking win8, that they couldn't like it even if Win8 was fixed to perfection.

19. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    A lot of the time when it's sitting at 0%, it's doing stuff like cataloging and checking manifests and stuff.
    Even on my faster desktop system, it will often sit at 0, then jump to like 50, then 80, then done and start installing.
    The percentages are really inaccurate. IMO they should change the process to scan and display progress of scan first.
    Then they should initialize download and display, etc.