Windows 8.1 and USB 3.0

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by garmon, Sep 9, 2013.

1. garmon

garmon MDL Novice

Aug 9, 2009
    Since installing 8.1 I've had nothing but trouble with my external USB 3 drives. Not connecting, data corruption, etc. Has anyone else notice this or found a fix?

2. SpeedDream

SpeedDream MDL Addicted

Feb 20, 2012
    yes, install manufacturer driver, i have an asmedia usb 3.0 controller on this asus mobo and with their it goes fine.
    dont use microsoft ones if you get data corruption.
    cheers

3. garmon

garmon MDL Novice

Aug 9, 2009
    I have a HighPoint RU1144A PCIe card. The first thing I did was install the manufacturer's drivers. No luck.

4. SpeedDream

SpeedDream MDL Addicted

Feb 20, 2012
  5. garmon

garmon MDL Novice

Aug 9, 2009
    No. Per instructions that firmware update required DOS. I haven't seen a dos boot disc in 10 years.

6. davehc

davehc MDL Novice

Nov 11, 2008
    Have another read of post #2.
    The problem is not with your card, but with the motherboard USB3. You need a chipset update from the motherboard manufacturer, more than likely Intel. What make is your computer?

7. ashoktvm

ashoktvm MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    I have the same thing, but i have asus laptop. The problem with mine when i connect USB 3 device it does not recognize, but after connecting an USB 2 device and disconnecting and then connecting USB 3 on the same port will recognize it. Any help please?

8. garmon

garmon MDL Novice

Aug 9, 2009
    The mobo is an Asus P8H77-I. Latest BIOS. The problem is with two MediaSonic ProBox's. I have the same problem whether on the mobo's usb 3 or the card. Did not have any problems before installing 8.1.

9. garmon

garmon MDL Novice

Aug 9, 2009
    After re-installing Windows 8, I'm beginning to wonder if the culprit wasn't Asus's USB 3.0 boost. I didn't have it installed previously to upgrading to Win 8.1 and when I rolled back to 8 and installed it, one of my mediasonic boxes was not recognized. One box holds 4 drives the other 8. Anyone have experience with similar hardware?

10. softeac2

softeac2 MDL Member

Aug 23, 2013
    Always try to give your version of PC, clearly and give the driver version ande version of card used by print screen, like this:

Attached Files:

11. davehc

davehc MDL Novice

Nov 11, 2008
    OK. Certainly got my USB3's working.

12. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    USB3 boost is incompatible with win8.1
    It uses specialized usb3 drivers. It doesn't just overdrive the existing ones. It actually installs new drivers.

13. nutpn

nutpn MDL Novice

Dec 25, 2011
    if you can help me with my 3.0 usb, I have a gateway nv57h58U and it says renesas host controller not found, thanks
    Semper Fi
    USMC

14. RamGuy

RamGuy MDL Member

Jun 27, 2009
    I'm also having trouble with USB under Windows 8.1, there was never a problem with them before I upgraded to Windows 8.1 so I'm not really sure what's going on here.

I've got a Asus Rampage IV Extreme motherboard and I mostly use the on-board USB2.0 ones from the Intel X79 chipset, but I've got so many USB devices and cables connected so I'm forced to use a few from the external ASMedia one.

I'm not entirely sure what is going on but my computer is suddenly starting to drop and re-connect some USB devices at random times. I hear that classic "usb disconnected", "usb connect" sound in Windows for like five to six times in a row before Windows shows the old USB icon notification area and reports that there might be something wrong with one of the usb devices I've got connected please reconnect it.

I have no clue which device it might be as I've tried to unplug loads of things, reconnect them and what not but the message seems to pop up at random times no matter what and all USB-devices seems to function just fine even though Windows 8.1 is tossing this in my face a few times every day. I know some people have reported problems with ASMedia USB 3.0 under Windows 8.1 and I can't seem to find any drivers listed for my Rampage IV Extreme at support.asus.com compatible with Windows 8.1 at all. Does this mean I should remove my current drivers and use the default Windows ones or should I update to the latest ones even though they are not listed at Asus website under Windows 8.1 or what? Should I go as far as disable the whole ASMedia controller in the BIOS?

15. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    I have largely the same system as yours but with x79 ASUS P9X79 Deluxe. It has 2 ASM1061 SATA controller (for esata) and ASM104 USB 3.0. The problem is the same as yours. In windows 8, they work perfectly that is connect/disconnect properly and immediately recognised and shown in disk managament and Computer.

In win 8.1, it is totally a random trial and error. Sometimes the esata and/or USB 3.0 drives are recognised and shown immediately. However a lot of times, I hear a beep sound of connection but it does not show in This PC. They do show up in disk management but without a drive letter. I then have to assign them a letter and then they show up. However, disconnect and reconnect and then the same problem has a more than 75% chance of cropping up again. Cannot do this whole day.

My personal view is that USB 3.0/esata windows native drivers are somewhat messed up.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...