Windows 8.1 Build 9369 Issues/Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Chris123NT, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Chris123NT

Chris123NT MDL Expert

Oct 23, 2010
    This thread is for anyone who wants to talk about Windows 8.1 build 9369 and also post about various issues they are having with the build so they can get help resolving them.

Lets try to keep this thread on topic please. Any discussions about other builds or fakes shouldn't be here. Thank you. :)

2. ace2

ace2 Guest

Skip Start Screen Natively:

@ECHO OFF
    CLS

MKDIR C:\Windows\System32\spp\Restore

TAKEOWN /F C:\Windows\System32\spp\tokens\ppdlic\explorer-ppdlic.xrm-ms
    ICACLS C:\Windows\System32\spp\tokens\ppdlic\explorer-ppdlic.xrm-ms /grant administrators:F
    MOVE /Y C:\Windows\System32\spp\tokens\ppdlic\explorer-ppdlic.xrm-ms C:\Windows\System32\spp\Restore

TIMEOUT /T 30 >NUL
    TAKEOWN /F C:\Windows\System32\spp\store\tokens.dat
    ICACLS C:\Windows\System32\spp\store\tokens.dat /grant administrators:F
    DEL C:\Windows\System32\spp\store\tokens.dat /Q

slmgr.vbs /ipk PUT SERIAL HERE

SHUTDOWN.EXE /L

3. ace2

ace2 Guest

Only parts

4. elhassan

elhassan MDL Member

Dec 9, 2011
    yep just a part ..but im working to remove it completely......i will add that soon

5. tobiastimpe

tobiastimpe MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    So what about the Store? We would Need an x64 version of the patch that is available for 3964. Anybody tried some stuff in this direction already?

Oh, and btw: What is the command for opening the modern UI from let's say a shortcut? Probably something like explorer.exe {3343DEA-blabla).

6. Chris123NT

Chris123NT MDL Expert

Oct 23, 2010
    #8 Chris123NT, Apr 18, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
    (OP)
    Only part, removing the hash will require a hex edit to shell32.dll.

Edit, here's a good tip for dual monitors on this build:

I noticed almost immediately that my mouse was sticking on the right edge of monitor 1 and the left edge of monitor 2 (shared edge) unless I moved the mouse REALLY fast. Well it turns out they're experimenting with some mouse "escape velocity" stuff to make the charms bar easier to use. If you want to disable it go into the registry and navigate to:

HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop

and find the DWORD called "MouseMonitorEscapeSpeed" and set it to 0. The default value is 6. Once you do this you will still have the sticky corners but the rest of the shared edge will function like it does in previous windows versions.

7. jhoff80

jhoff80 MDL Junior Member

Jan 27, 2013
    I find that it's still really buggy (of course, that's to be expected, but someone in the other thread posted about using it day-to-day. I've had stuff disappear when I try to pin it to start, random app crashes, and all sorts of stuff. And of course, you don't have access to the Windows Store either, even for free stuff.

8. GraphicsBerry

GraphicsBerry MDL Novice

Aug 21, 2011
    Store did not work. I copied the folder "WinStore" from official x64 Windows 8 build, and I have splash screen (the whole time) when the store is launching.

9. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    this was a masterpiece ... lol.
    Did you really expect this to work out of the box? :smokecowboy:

10. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    #12 Snuffy, Apr 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  11. anarchist9027

anarchist9027 MDL Expert

Oct 30, 2010
    If all you people are trying to get on the Windows Store, wait for CP or what not lol

This is beta software afterall

12. ms-7

ms-7 MDL Addicted

Sep 24, 2011
    actually pre-beta :D
    it falls somewhere between a Milestone and Beta :p

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. GraphicsBerry

GraphicsBerry MDL Novice

Aug 21, 2011
    #15 GraphicsBerry, Apr 19, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
    I was able to run Store in 9364 build.

Ok I asked in a different place and I received this answer: "Im working On that......we will provide it for download as soon as we could"

14. Chris123NT

Chris123NT MDL Expert

Oct 23, 2010
    Ok so I figured I would post about my experiences thus far. I decided to be daring and try to run this build daily on my desktop and my laptop (I guess I have more balls than brains sometimes lol). So here's how it's going:

Went to install it on my desktop the other night via USB stick and it wouldn't boot. Ended up figuring out that Blue doesn't like secure boot on UEFI systems, so if you have secure boot enabled, it's probably a good idea to disable it before attempting to install Blue.

After installation I tried to install the latest NVIDIA drivers and that went about as well as a fart in church. This could be because of my dual screens or the fact I run SLI (2x GTX580's). Anyway I got around it by going into safe mode and installing the NVIDIA drivers there and booting back into normal mode and enabling SLI through the NVIDIA control panel as normal. Video has been perfectly fine since doing this.

On the topic of safe mode, when it booted, explorer was in a crash loop and would not stay running at all. Ended up having to kill it which took many attempts because the crash kept stealing focus away from task manager. Anyway if you want to boot this build into safe mode, do it via safe mode with command prompt so explorer doesn't load, thus avoiding the crash loop.

I ended up trying start8 1.15 to see if it works and it does, right down to booting straight to the desktop. I tried this for two reasons. The first was to boot straight to the desktop, and the second was the whole double enter to start apps via the new start screen search was just annoying the hell out of me, and I didn't feel like formatting back to Windows 8.

Another thing I noticed is that administrative shares (\\pcname\C$) seem to be disabled by default for domain computers as well now which is interesting. I know it's been disabled for non-domain PC's since Vista.

Taskbar thumbnails are a bit buggy with grouped windows, when you hover over a grouped icon on the taskbar there is some graphical weirdness and the text at the top of the label sometimes disappears. Don't think this is a video driver issue since it happens on my laptop as well.

I have seen some weirdness with pinning things to the start screen, but I also noticed that the thing you try to pin does pin, it just doesn't always show up right away. If this happens a restart of explorer usually takes care of it.

I really like the new sync options and the expanded control panel in Metro. I LOVE the fact that the start screen layout gets synced between PC's now. That will save me tons of time having to re-organize everything on each PC I use every time I re-install. I also like that apps aren't automatically pinned when you install them, that was one thing that I didn't like about 8 because after installing all of your programs it would look like someone puked all over your start screen.

Anyway I would say this build definitely has its share of bugs but surprisingly it isn't the crash fest I thought it would be. Sure there are minor hiccups here and there but overall it hasn't been a bad experience for me. Curious to see what other people are experiencing with it. I would also say it's more stable than 9364, and the "hidden" features that were available in that build are definitely more complete in this one.

15. vrosa

vrosa MDL Member

Jan 31, 2011
    I've ported RTM Store to Blue 9364 x86 and it is working nicely, but I'm having the same issue with 9369 x64 (endless splash screen).

16. Chris123NT

Chris123NT MDL Expert

Oct 23, 2010
    Same here, not sure what the issue is. Maybe there's something else it's trying to call and failing.

17. Misaki2010

Misaki2010 MDL Addicted

Jul 14, 2009