Windows 8.1 cant access some website with IE & other browser except Chrome.

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by andrechris, Dec 7, 2014.

1. andrechris

andrechris MDL Novice

Dec 7, 2014
    Hi guys, does somebody know why i cant acess anything with IE & Mozilla? but i can access it with chrome
    some website like go.microsoft.com also cant be accessed :(

this issue make me cant install JAVA, or any downloading setup from internet :( i even formatting my windows 3 times and swap many iso :(

but i also can make them accessed using VPN software, does anyone know this issue? i think something happened with DNS though, but i cant make this fixed :(

2. neofita

neofita MDL Member

Nov 27, 2013
    i suggest you call your ISP o_O

3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Check the Modem/Router settings. Seems to be that the problems lies there!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. andrechris

andrechris MDL Novice

Dec 7, 2014
    but i can access the sites normally with my phone when connected to same wifi
    but i look for them for 2 days already, still no luck :(

5. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    #5 LatinMcG, Dec 8, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
    i fix this every day.. 2 things..
    reboot your modem ( if it has lights on when you pull power.. it has a battery on side door of modem. take both power and battery out 15 seconds.

ipv4 might need google dns. 8.8.8.8 secondary 8.8.4.4
    run adwcleaner from bleepingcomputer by xplode.
    then malwarebytes.org

uninstall chrome.. REBOOT reinstall chrome ( check box to delete data during uninstall.. corrupt files in profile for chrome from prior malware)

reinstall from google.com/chrome
    if still dotn work try running avast browser cleanup tool.
    retry.

uninstall VPN and retry.

unisntal net adapter in device manager. reboot and it will autoinstall.. retry

6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    First thing I would do in Router/Modem is to turn off the Router/Modem internal Firewall. After that try again!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. andrechris

andrechris MDL Novice

Dec 7, 2014
    its not google chrome that error, its IE and Mozilla that cant browsing. :(

try that later, but now im formatting my pc back to win 7 and the internet was working :confused:, so confused whats wrong with the win 8.1

8. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014

well if u can use chrome browser your connection is working....try re-set both IE and firefox setting back to default, try and see if u can access the web.

9. andrechris

andrechris MDL Novice

Dec 7, 2014
    well i even do the extreme one, formatting the windows. but the problem is still there

formatting to windows 7 fix the issue though, but i want win 8.1 :(

10. andrechris

andrechris MDL Novice

Dec 7, 2014
    #10 andrechris, Dec 9, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
    (OP)
    Well you all are right :) , the problem is with my router. Just now i change to my old router, then sudenly everything working fine.

Does somebody can explain this? Im still curious why my new router cant work fine with w8.1 :|

11. CorporateRAT

CorporateRAT MDL Member

Aug 4, 2012
    Maybe you need to update router firmware?

12. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014

looks like u had incorrect router setting. post all the info on router and your ISP......so we can give u the proper settings.

13. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Also, don't forget the new router might come with IPv6 support. Unfortunately many hard- and software (including router firmware) interferes with correct IPv6 operation, e. g. by blocking ICMPv6 and thus Path MTU Discovery. Since IPv6 packets cannot be fragmented, they are discarded. As a result, connecting to websites using Dual-stack (IPv6+IPv4) can stall connection for up to several minutes(!) since the broken IPv6 route is tried first.

Old router has certainly only IPv4 thus the problem goes away. IPv6 is just one of several possibilities, but worth a check.