Windows 8.1 Clean Install Scanario Help

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by uffbros, Apr 26, 2014.

1. uffbros

uffbros MDL Senior Member

Aug 9, 2010
    I just had my friends Asus Laptop that came with Win 8 Core preinstalled. I got the license extracted from the BIOS. I used my bootable USB drive that has 8.1 for clean installs. It did not ask me for any serial during install probably because I have read it detects the key from the BIOS and installs core or pro depending on the license it detects. It came with Core but it installed Pro. When windows came up for first time it was not activated and the key I had extracted did not activate it. I do many many clean installs on OEM computers so I don't want to do the 8 then 8.1 upgrade route that probably works but takes way too long. So why didn't my scenario work? Can someone point me to a guide that shows exactly what I need to do? I prefer to use the customers legal key. I know how to activate it our way. Thanks.

2. s1ave77

s1ave77 MDL Guide Dog/Dev

Aug 15, 2012
    Afaik Win 8 Keys aren't picked up by Win 8.1 Setup. On the last two laptops of friends i installed Core from an usb drive with ei.cfg file and entered the personal Keys manually afterwards. Both activated fine :good3:.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. uffbros

Aug 9, 2010
    Ok just checked the .iso I am using and there is an ei.cfg file there. I opened it and it is set for Professional. It looks like this:
    [EditionID]
    Professional

[Channel]
    Volume

[VL]

How would I make it so it will ask me for a key? I will then put in the generic one for either pro or core and then when windows is up I will insert the real legal key. Do I just delete the ei.cfg like Win 7 to make it ask or what do I do? Thanks.

4. SpeedDream

SpeedDream MDL Addicted

Feb 20, 2012
    delete the ei.cfg file and try

5. uffbros

Aug 9, 2010
    I have been doing some reading while waiting for a definitive answer. They are saying not to use a VL but a Retail version if your doing OEM computers? How can I tell which version I have? Retail or VL? Does my ei.cfg I posted indicate it is a VL? If so since I do many OEM installs where would I get a Retail version of 8.1 Update1 that just came out? Thanks.

6. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    The only VL versions are Pro_VL and Enterprise (both have only one index). If the ISO holds Pro and Core it's Retail. As i already said i installed this version to 2 OEM laptops with success.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    Are you really sure the version you need is Core and not CoreSingleLanguage ...:g:?

8. my2cents

my2cents Guest

Hello,

Here's how I did a clean install of Windows 8.1 Pro using my Windows 8.0 key:

1. Downloaded the "correct" ISO from a link in this forum
    2. Used the "generic key" for Windows 8.1 Pro to complete the install
    3. Activated the installation (once done) using my genuine Windows 8.0 Pro product key

Unfortunately, I'm a newbie here so I can't post links yet. Maybe someone else can do that.

Note: The "trick" method of downloading the Windows 8.1 ISO (when attempting a normal upgrade via the Store) will not work with a generic key as described above.

Good luck,

my2cents

9. uffbros

Aug 9, 2010
    It's an Asus Laptop so I would assume it's not single language

10. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    Assuming might be one thing, i checked the key with: The Ultimate PID Checker to be sure :g:.

11. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    There's a thread in the stickies about preserving the oem activation.
    Please read it and try to take time to understand it.

12. my2cents

my2cents Guest

BTW, my thanks to Murphy78 for the many times he has helped me and "thousands" of others!

Where did you obtain the ISO from?
    Core and Pro have "unique" key requirements.