Windows 8.1 crashed

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by treacherous_hawk, Mar 9, 2014.

1. treacherous_hawk

treacherous_hawk MDL Junior Member

Mar 9, 2014
    #1 treacherous_hawk, Mar 9, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
    Hello, i need a little help here. My Acer laptop Aspire V5-571G running windows 8.1 single language, was freezing a lot when i used to do a right click on any folder. I decided to fomat windows using the update and recovery optionand chose to not keep all the files and folders. It was resetting very slowly and it shut down. Now when i try to power on the laptop it says "preparing automatic repair" and then shuts down. I have also tried to boot into advanced recovery but all the key combinations failed. I can explain further in detail but would like to know how can i fix it? If not possible then i have windows 8.1 pro downloaded. I know i have to use same version of windows to to be able to use the product key., but unfortunately i don't have yhe product key. I cannot even recover it using the methods mentioned in this forum as system is not booting. Can someone else please advice me how to recover product key in this situation and if not possible what can i do? Sorry for the long post and thanks for reading.
    Edit: can i use this for activated windows 8.1 without having to reactivate after few days
    forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/15733-Win-8-x-%95-Win-7-%95-Vista-Multi-OEM-ISO-Project

2. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. treacherous_hawk

Mar 9, 2014
    Thanks for the reply, but as i mentioned laptop is nit booting to windows, how can i backup or get my product key? Just by installing the same version iso will it be able to get the product from embedded key?

4. treacherous_hawk

Mar 9, 2014
    #4 treacherous_hawk, Mar 9, 2014
    (OP)
    i have tried to make changes as mentioned in this link:
    forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/15733-Win-8-x-%95-Win-7-%95-Vista-Multi-OEM-ISO-Project
    and while trying to use "Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool" it is giving error "Files copied successfully. However, we were unable to run bootsect to make the USB device bootable"
    i tried the command prompt method and getting error while typing this command "BOOTSECT.EXE/NT60 F:" "This version of H:\boot\bootsect.exe is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need a x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher."
    Note: I am running this tool on 32 bit OS, trying to create 64 bit bootable, if that makes any difference? is it ok to still go ahead the bootable USB created inspite of the error?:confused:

5. Rock Hunter

Rock Hunter MDL Senior Member

Dec 6, 2011
    Did you first format the thumb drive to FAT32?

6. treacherous_hawk

Mar 9, 2014
    I think i tried it with NTFS before, i am trying with FAT32 now :( taking too long.

7. treacherous_hawk

Mar 9, 2014
    #8 treacherous_hawk, Mar 9, 2014
    (OP)
    I got same error again ""Files copied successfully. However, we were unable to run bootsect to make the USB device bootable".How ever i would like to know how to use eicfg_removal_utility, as i have not been able to do it, i am getting error ei.cfg not found "make sure the the disc image is uncorrupted and file system is UDF, not Joliet" how do i check and change it to UDF if it is Joliet or how to make sure my disc image isn't corrupted. I need help, i have been dealing with this from hours :(
    Edit: I opened the .iso before and there was no ei.cfg folder. However i have copied one from here: forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/15733-Win-8-x-%95-Win-7-%95-Vista-Multi-OEM-ISO-Project. Should get all the windows versions while trying to install? that too if it works inspite of the error Files copied successfully. However, we were unable to run bootsect to make the USB device bootable?

8. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    On untouched Win 8.x ISO there is no ei.cfg (it's not a folder it's a CFG aka config-file). To get it working on your laptop you'll need a Single Language ISO without an ei.cfg file, as the key won't be read from BIOS otherwise.

With what ISO you're trying the procedure?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. treacherous_hawk

Mar 9, 2014
    I downloaded the one from the repository list here on mydigitallife it is for 8.1 pro though. Should i delete ei.cfg folder and then make the USB bootable? would it work then, i mean will i get list of all the versions then? Also apart from that, Windows is stuck in loop "windows 8.1 preparing automatic repair, then bluescreen and then again same. i have tried to boot from USB but nothing. Is there a combination of buttons apart from changing the boot priority?
    Edit: So there is no need to follow this: forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/15733-Win-8-x-%95-Win-7-%95-Vista-Multi-OEM-ISO-Project
    and will i have to download the Single language ISO, wouldnt this work if i am able to get all the version?

10. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    Unfortunately in case of that specific version you will need the Single Language one, as only this version will detect and accept the embedded key.

No need to change the ISO in any way.

11. treacherous_hawk

Mar 9, 2014
    #12 treacherous_hawk, Mar 9, 2014
    (OP)
    what about windows going into loop? how to fix that? is there a way i can fix the current windows? downloading the windows will take lot of time and need that laptop badly, may be i can do chkdsk to fix it?
    Edit: or i can install this pro version and keep extending the trial using some tool?

12. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    #13 s1ave77, Mar 9, 2014
    Just google for the Restore Options of your laptop, there should be a Recovery Partition to reset the laptop to factory default.

EDIT: Just realized this won't work for you (reading the OP again helps reminding :D). Repair attempts would still require a Win 8.1 install media to boot from :hmm:.

13. treacherous_hawk

Mar 9, 2014
    #14 treacherous_hawk, Mar 9, 2014
    (OP)
    Well for repair that could be any version of windows 8 right?

14. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
  15. treacherous_hawk

Mar 9, 2014
    Checking the ram or hdd test also wont work as it is in the loop, any idea or suggestions are welcome. Until Windows 7 it was so simple. No way to get into advanced boot menu?
    Edit: Also note that this pc came with Windows 8 and later on was updated to 8.1, so should i go about downloading windows 8 or 8.1 single language?

16. eddy64

eddy64 MDL Novice

Sep 2, 2013
    well you can install memtest86 to a usb stick and boot from that to check the memory

17. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    #18 s1ave77, Mar 9, 2014
    The tool versions i named will run from usb drive, as the system isn't booting. Unfortunately no way to reach the advanced startup in Win 8.x when it's crashed (afaik) without any install media.

You can directly opt for Win 8.1, it's ment as a free Upgrade for legit Win 8 owners :good3:.

18. treacherous_hawk

Mar 9, 2014
    Just trying to understand if it is HDD gone bad maybe? or something else. as i tried to boot chaging from UEFI to Legacy and got the message, windows not found.

19. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    Nope that's normal after that change, completely different partition layouts used, they won't recognize each other.