Windows 8.1 Enterprise: Graphic Problems

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by pisthai, Jan 10, 2015.

1. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Since a few days I got an problem with Graphics. Most of the time everything is just fine, than, using an second, third or more apps, everything on display slows down, and moving the mouse or typing, each movement stacks a little (around 1 sec).

Using an Nvidia 640GT with 2GB Memory, I updated to the latest driver: still the same, no difference!

Scanned the machine with several AV apps, online an local, all ok NO virus, NO malware, NO trojan, just all is clean!

Any idea what could trigger that problem?

Thanks for any information.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    Are you using Flash and is it up to date?

3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Thanks.

No, I don't use Flash! But I installed some time ago Silverlight, may that triggers the problem?

Anyway, I'll just look for to update Flash, if that's installed with any apps.

And to note: The first time I was getting that problem were with VLC Player latest version a few days ago. I also received the Error Messages from Nvidia that the driver stopped to work and restarted. That still is happen sometimes even after the update to latest driver.

In VLC Player, while an movie is running and that stacking starts, just moving the mouse a bit on the movie window and all works fine.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. bambamtusa

bambamtusa MDL Member

Jul 18, 2011
    May i ask did you update your Nvidia driver with clean installation or just quick setup for protect your settings?

5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I updated the NVidia Driver NOT Windows!

6. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    bambamtusa has a valid point pisthai, when you update Nvidia graphics driver the installer prompts the user to choose either clean install or upgrade existing installation keeping settings.

7. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I used Express. Anyway, the Graphic Problem was before the update of driver and that driver update were just to see it's driver related or not. But I could run that Update again and coos Custom. Will see that works or not!
    Never had such problem before! Could be that it's related to old software from which I still use a lot, special for graphics work.

8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    OK, done! Clean install of the NVidia driver didn't changed anything! Same problem happen!

Any more idea's? Thanks.

9. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Doesn't sound like a graphics problem, if it was, it would happen with just one app open

Do a memtest86 and a HDD chkdsk

10. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
  11. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Both I used the last few days already and shown: NOTHING! As I wrote in the other post, Process Lasso found the file who triggered the problem and I deleted that.

By the way, the file dwm.exe were located at: \users\{user}\AppData\Local\Temp

12. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    #13 Tito, Jan 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
    @pisthai

Desktop Window Manager (dwm.exe) is a part of Windows which should be present in Windows\system32.

:g:

13. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Is there as well!! The one I delete were in \users\{user}\AppData\Local\Temp

Since that file is deleted, no more stacks!

14. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Question is, is it supposed to be at that location too? Perhaps a malware?

15. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Simply answer: YES!

I checked before deleting with Virustotal and that shown 36 of 56 as infected!

I'm just wonder why the Virus scan's over the last few day's didn't found it?! The location at \users\{user}\AppData\Local\Temp is inside the hidden folder AppData and may were not checked even I selected ALL files to be checked?!

16. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Because as I already said and there are many pages talking about it (even Symantec) A/V software is a dying industry...
    Malware detection is not a good approach anymore, it's not suffice for a tight security model, the model has to be in a layered fashion.

17. Maragaret47

Maragaret47 MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2014
    Video cards are responsible for creating the graphics you can see in the computer screen. If the graphic cards are not installed or updated it can not work very well and has a little functionality. So it is very important to update or install Graphic Driver.

18. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
    check with process hacker what is using cpu too much

check which threads running