Windows 8.1 - Is a complete mess!

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Nova, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Nova

Nova MDL Novice

Aug 2, 2011
    I'm absolutely gobsmacked that MS would release a preview build to the public in such a state; DWM is laggy, apps are non functional or simply wont install for no reason, and it keeps crashing every 5 minutes. I cant even set my taskbar to the top of the screen on my secondary monitor.

For those who like the start button, its nice that its there but I'd still have liked to have the ability to hide it.

And to top it all off no-one can find the correct ruddy drivers for nvidia, its not on windows update, its not on the nvidia site, its not on the store, I even checked the old internet explorer update catalog to no avail.

I've used every beta they've released since Windows 7 beta back in 08' and I've NEVER seen such a poor release; Im sorely dissapointed.

If anyone wants to join me in QQing, feel free to leave a comment below. As for me, its back to 8.0 RTM :(

2. free1975yuly

free1975yuly MDL Expert

Aug 24, 2011
    Maybe this is the reason for they delay with ISO's??:eek:

3. DoCi

DoCi MDL Novice

Dec 10, 2008
    #3 DoCi, Jun 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
    Yeah, thats true... Too mach laggy... The new charm search don't work corectly. If I search for Realtek HD Audio Manager than it can't find it in control panel like before ..... Weather app stoped working, crashing at loading screen..

Update: Just now I found another bug.. The maps app crashing when go to settings in charm bar ... prntscr.com/1c6w7g

Update 1: Metro apps crashed becouse I removed the watermark with MyWCP Watermark Editor, soo don't use that software.

4. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    Thanx for the feedback seems it's a real bummer then?...:moon:

I'm sure others will have different experiences testing various aspects of this release - would be interested to hear both the good and the bad in fact... :p

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. free1975yuly

free1975yuly MDL Expert

Aug 24, 2011
    Windows 8 seems to be unfinished but once with this preview I hoped that MS going in the right direction.Maybe I waiting too much from an OS??

6. CorporateRAT

CorporateRAT MDL Member

Aug 4, 2012
    I don't know guys. Running this release( clean install from msdn iso) for like 18 hours and no crash so far. Updating graphics card drivers helped alot.

7. MeMy&Myself

MeMy&Myself MDL Junior Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Bugs are expected, otherwise this would be RTM not preview. If u can't deal with problems and bugs... do not install "beta" (call it preview, release candidate or whatever) versions and wait untill RTM.

8. free1975yuly

free1975yuly MDL Expert

Aug 24, 2011
    On their site,MS warns about this preview,they told us only advanced users should test it...:eek:

9. nexus76

nexus76 MDL Addicted

Jan 25, 2009
    yep, that's why an upgrade is the wrong option, fresh install to use it parallel or creating an iso after downloading the files would have been fine :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. Tihiy

Tihiy MDL Junior Member

Jul 20, 2012
    Some bugs I've noticied

Win32 UI:

- Menus align to right and expand to left

Snap view:

- If snapped app is closed, empty space is not reclaimed by Desktop or other apps

- Open app. Snap it to the right. Press Win+D (or be switched to Desktop elsehow) and resnap app to the left. It will be gone into nowhere.

Shell:

- Automatic jumplists are not populated in some conditions

- Drag & drop operation hangs over new Start button

Search:

- Search is slow to initialize and sometimes fails to follow typeahead search query

- Search does not rank results any comprehencible way

- Search is slow to display results and not responsive. Results do not show up after one second.

- Search leads to memory leaks in explorer.exe process

- Search can't autocomplete filesystem or network

- Search results can't open items from PC settings due to UAC off, but PC setting does not have UAC limitation!

Start and Apps view:

- Apps view stucks in Customize mode

- Classic apps background color can be too agressive (100% red, orange, etc) which can lead to unrecognizable icon
    - Some built-in tools could be shown as 'NEW' in Apps view. Shouldn't new app highlighting be AppID - centric?!

- Tower of one item is named 'Name gr' in Customize view

Also:

- There are two apps named 'Sound recorder'
    - There are two apps named 'Calculator'

- Start button uses different scale metrics for Desktop and Immersive

- GetVersionEx returns 6.2.9200

- 'This PC'?

- There are three Desktop folders in 'This PC' window

- Touch keyboard runs in two separate processes

- Cursor moves when invoking Win-X menu with mouse, even when it's not in the corner

11. nexus76

nexus76 MDL Addicted

Jan 25, 2009
    iSCSI does not work, the attached volumes don't show up in diskmanager.

12. ashmicro

ashmicro MDL Junior Member

Mar 2, 2012
    Running pretty well here as a guest on Win 8 Pro x64 using VMware Workstation 9.0.1. I gave the guest 2 cores of an i7 990X and 8GB RAM. All of that said, it did seem a little "woolly" until I installed the updates and ran the VMware Disk Cleanup. So far, so good. It's seeing my other network devices OK, including my slightly choosy Sony Bravia 3.

13. nexus76

nexus76 MDL Addicted

Jan 25, 2009
    upgrade or fresh-install?

14. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    in VM ware with fresh install, preview works absolutely fine. Didn't try upgrade but here all is perfect as far as one can say about a beta

15. DoCi

DoCi MDL Novice

Dec 10, 2008

Wow, you are genius.. :worthy:

16. naseap

naseap MDL Senior Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Did a clean install on a separate drive and do not have any issues so far. I have only used it for a few hours though.

17. Jessica Alba

Jessica Alba MDL Expert

Jul 26, 2009
    did a clean install, so far so good and all apps installs fine. :D
    been playing for 5 hours and no crashes:)

18. Nova

Nova MDL Novice

Aug 2, 2011
    As I said in the post, I've used all of the betas since W7Beta and not had nowhere near the issues I had with 8.1 Preview - its not like theyre just pesky little annoyances, they're actual huge experience breaking issues. Not being able to use USB tethering is pretty problematic if you're like me and tethering is your main internet connection!

19. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    It's just an Preview, nothing more and nothing left! And also NOT an Release Preview at all! And that just means that there will be still a lot problems which need to be solved. ;)

20. Lich King

Lich King MDL Addicted

Sep 24, 2009
    Another FAIL update from MS ..

When they gonna learn from their mistakes.. :rolleyes: