Windows 8.1 ISO with install.ESD to Windows 8.1 ISO with install.WIM

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by 4test, Sep 1, 2015.

1. 4test

4test MDL Novice

Apr 7, 2015
    I'm converting install.esd to install.wim now. Is deleting install.esd from the ISO and adding install.wim to it is true way?

2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    You can use either esd or wim, it's your choice, what you want. But esd does not work always.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. esdtowimseeker

esdtowimseeker MDL Novice

Aug 4, 2015
    #3 esdtowimseeker, Sep 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Note my ID...

In any case, when I was planning to refresh my system I wanted to use a recently created Windows.ISO from the Media Creation Tool; it had an install.esd instead of an install.wim. While searching for a converter from one to the other (...) I came across some sort of Microsoft blog/tech article/something that mentioned something like "install.esd is fine now; no need for install.wim".

And, in fact, with Dism you can substitute an install.esd for install.wim in at least a couple invocations and it'll be taken just fine. For example:

Code:
    dism /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:install.esd /index:1
    works just fine with the mounted ISO's install.esd even though we've told Dism "wim" stuff.

Having typed that, however, there may be some problems with other programs or maybe simply with some parsing DLLs for other uses of "esd" files.

4. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    esd is simply a wim file, esd extension is just to distinguish it
    the difference is that it's a soli-compressed wim

the converters has been around since May 2014

5. esdtowimseeker

esdtowimseeker MDL Novice

Aug 4, 2015
    True and true.

My post, however, was to note that the OP didn't have to worry about converting esd to wim - Microsoft has made esd the main thang with Microsoft tools being able to use esd files (in general).