Windows 8.1 legitimate MAK Keys Issues

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by ZeroOmegaZX, Aug 30, 2013.

1. ZeroOmegaZX

ZeroOmegaZX MDL Novice

Apr 15, 2008
    I have read many posts stating that the current MSDN and Partner MAK keys are not working with 8.1 Pro/Ent. I stupidly upgraded my laptop anyway and am now stuck with an inactive installation. It isn't the end of the world but I was wondering what the hold up is with legitimate MAK keys not activating if anyone knows for sure. Is it the fact that 81 uses a new authentication process (v6) or has MS not turned on the key compatibility with their servers. Since I am trying to activate our MAK keys to test some of our software I am not using a KMS server. Thanks for whatever you can tell me.

2. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    Simple (speculation on my part) answer: Windows 8.1 will have different MAK keys and will never work with Windows 8 MAK keys.

It's only a free upgrade to retail users. Volume License customers also must have software assurance to get new KMS and MAK keys.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    No volume keys work for 8.1 that previously worked for 8.0
    They redid the SPP

4. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    We are both stuck, I think MS will have something come official release in OCT. At least that is what I am hoping for, I (the company) will not pay for new keys for 8 -> 8.1. That is ridiculous

5. ZeroOmegaZX

ZeroOmegaZX MDL Novice

Apr 15, 2008
    Neither will I, I think it is outrageous that MS didnt allow us early access to test. we are in the middle of a bunch of upgrades on our software here and I would love to know if things will be compatible.

6. rrohela

rrohela MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    You upgraded with leak build not with released build & this time M$ will show cards on release with major bug fixes....
    So wait till then....

7. MSDNAA

MSDNAA MDL Senior Member

Aug 6, 2013
    #7 MSDNAA, Aug 30, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
    Microsoft calling this as free upgrade but only for retail users not for enterprise customers what about the users those who have paid $$$$ and doesn't renew their agreement. But, It could be anything as you said or MS doesn't open the Servers for Legitimate MAK/KMS Key users. I have tried for both Windows 8.1 Enterprise and Server 2012 R2 but with no luck. Will have to wait till it shows up in VLSC, when Win 8 released last year MAK/KMS keys appeared first hope it will be same this time.

I guess once it is officially released on VLSC / MSDN / Technet existing VL customers may have an option to upgrade their product via store and obtain a new key. Also it could be a bug too. If the enterprise customers have to pay for 8.1 and 2012 R2 then Microsoft shouldn't call this as free upgrade.

Let's hope for the best. Nobody has nothing to loose. :)

But my friend manage to activate it. :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. TestPoint

TestPoint MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2010
    Just installed Windows 8.1 Enterprise (x86) but I can't activate :(
    I see your friend screenshot and I want to do the same :)

I have MAK KEY + Phone activation key for Windows 8 Enterprise (x86 + x64), but doesn't working for Windows 8.1 Enterprise :(

How can I activate without ISO modification and other hard steps ? :(

9. lantern

lantern MDL Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Not at this time.wait for the official release.

10. TestPoint

TestPoint MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2010
    Thanks but I see the above screenshot with Windows 8.1 Enterprise - ACTIVATED.

So can be activated :(