Windows 8.1 Pagefile

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by fLOW., Aug 20, 2014.

1. fLOW.

fLOW. MDL Senior Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Hey guys, lately i'm having freezes while watching videos online no matter what plataform they're on (youtube, vimeo, etc) and also with all the browsers i use. I was searching the net while i saw someone saying to delete the pagefile and create again. How can i do this? Is it safe since i'm using an SSD?

My current pagefile is: 7168 MB ; i have 8gb ram

Thanks in advance.

2. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    It's typically not anything to do with pagefile.

It has more to do with your video card or sound card.
    I know the sound is almost always integrated, but I'm mentioning that it's related to the video/sound.

You could try RAPR 0.5 and see if you can uninstall any old drivers.
    You could then uninstall your video card and any custom sound drivers (anything not from MS).
    Then run RAPR again and make sure they are removed from the system.

Then after cleaning it out, install the latest video card drivers.

If none of that works, you can try playing with Video driver settings and see if it has something related to internet video that is causing problems.

3. fLOW.

fLOW. MDL Senior Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Thanks for the answer, Murphy!

I've tried it and i've deleted some of the entries, not sure if i deleted something that i shouldn't tho lol, i just looked at the version number and the repeated names and deleted the old ones. Some needed force remove.

Let's see if that resolves anything. Anyway i'd like to ask a few questions about OC on my computer, not sure if i can do that here or have to create a new topic on Hardware section?!

4. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    You didn't say you were overclocked. That could be your problem right there.
    I would avoid overclocking video cards unless you really know what you're doing with cooling and voltage.

5. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    I don't think the cpu overclock voltage will cause the video crashing, but the memory overclock definitely will.
    You need to either over-volt the memory and have sufficient cooling, or increase the latency timings so that it doesn't lock up on you.

The hotter your components get, the crashier they get.
    Over-volting the memory is better than increasing latency, but you definitely need to watch the cooling.
    Your system temperature will ramp up when all the components are working at once such as a video game that uses a lot of ram, memory, cpu power, and loading from the hard drive.

6. fLOW.

fLOW. MDL Senior Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Sorry Murphy but now i don't understand what you're saying, when it comes to hardware and OC i'm a completely noob. You suggest to increase RAM clock? My cooler is the default one.

The thing here is, that it should work fine with the default settings (Auto) but it doesn't and needs that +100mV option to be on or i can't even do anything as it crashes a lot.

7. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    Negative. Most advanced boards let you change the dram voltage.
    If you don't have that option, you might have to play with video driver settings or something to disable hardware acceleration on internet video.

8. fLOW.

fLOW. MDL Senior Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Yes, my DRAM voltage is on Auto (1.500V). Should i change it to something else?

I already tried that but no result, it's the same with the flash hardware acceleration on or off, doesn't do nothing in this case. Still, i don't know why it doesn't work properly with the defaults values and i have to play around with OC settings like the +100mV.

9. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    I would try a small change like 1.6V first and up to 1.8V.
    I wouldn't recommend going over 1.8. If you have to go over 1.8, you need better ram.