Windows 8.1 preview - How long can one use it?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by NikJosuf, Sep 28, 2013.

1. NikJosuf

NikJosuf MDL Novice

Feb 23, 2011
    The Windows 8.1 preview.
    I cannot seem to find any information regarding how long one can use this before it expires.

And although I was planning to do some reading just now;
    will the Microsoft Toolkit work to activate this?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    My guess is that it will expire on 16-01-2014 :tea:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. NikJosuf

NikJosuf MDL Novice

Feb 23, 2011
    How do you know?
    Or: how come you guess it to be that particular date?

4. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Did run it myself and you van use CMD with slmgr -dlv it will show you the date

5. NikJosuf

NikJosuf MDL Novice

Feb 23, 2011
    That would mean one need to install it before knowing how long one can use it?
    I cannot find any documentation at all. Guess I'll setup a VM first.
    Sure there should be restrictions in terms of an trial period depending on the install date (eg. 6 months) or something like that?

Thanks anyway.

6. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
  7. NikJosuf

NikJosuf MDL Novice

Feb 23, 2011
    #7 NikJosuf, Sep 28, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
    (OP)
    Sorry for half-quoting, I cannot post links yet :biggrin:

Thank you. Just read it, someone posted the same link @ Microsoft Answers :)
    ALL Windows 8.1 previews are valid through januari 14 2014. Regardless of the install date.
    Now the next question is... what happens after that? Will one be locked out? Nagged?
    Hell, will Microsoft give me reboots every hour like they did in the past?

8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    May simply didn't work any more! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

9. NikJosuf

NikJosuf MDL Novice

Feb 23, 2011
    Rumours out there state one will get nagged, and Windows will indeed reboot every couple of hours.
    But you will be able to continue using it.

pchelpforum.com/xf/threads/windows-8-1-happenings-after-expiration.154172/

Still, it seems weird this information is not included in the Microsoft Windows 8.1 preview FAQ.
    Posted a question @ Windows answers, and will update later if no one is able to provide the definitive answer.

10. MSDNAA

MSDNAA MDL Senior Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Why would you want to use Windows 8.1 Preview when 8.1 RTM is available already, and in 20 days time the official 8.1 will be available. Cheers

11. NikJosuf

NikJosuf MDL Novice

Feb 23, 2011
    Well, first off I just want to try Windows 8.1 and do not want to wait 20 days.
    Wouldn't the whole point of trying something out be that you ehm... try it out before buying it?
    I figured I'll follow the legal way of achieving this.

Yes, some people actually consider doing that :bye1:

12. NikJosuf

NikJosuf MDL Novice

Feb 23, 2011
    #12 NikJosuf, Sep 28, 2013
    (OP)
    EDIT: I must admit I also wasn't aware of the differences between RTM and 8.1 preview.
    At first glance, I might be better of indeed.
    Maybe I'll reconsider.... lol

13. MSDNAA

MSDNAA MDL Senior Member

Aug 6, 2013
    That's fine, but i don't know why you want to try the preview now because it was released about 3 months before (June 26, 2013). If you know it.

14. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    As long as he didn't mind about those improvements in RTM let him do, it's his choice!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

15. NikJosuf

NikJosuf MDL Novice

Feb 23, 2011
    Meant to say I might indeed be better off with the RTM.
    Guess you guys are right.

Thanks for all the advice.

16. White Wizard

White Wizard MDL Junior Member

Jul 3, 2013
    For some reason my Windows 8.1 preview OS got deactivated. Don't know how it happened,it just appeared like that all of the sudden.

17. NikJosuf

NikJosuf MDL Novice

Feb 23, 2011
    #17 NikJosuf, Sep 28, 2013
    (OP)