Windows 8.1 Preview Pro on Reboot: Only Cursor

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by 179, Jul 27, 2013.

1. 179

179 MDL Novice

Mar 10, 2011
    Hello,

I just installed a clean install of Windows 8.1 Preview Pro on my laptop (HP DV9000) and I've been coming back and forth to the forum and getting my questions answered by reading all the post about my problems and it worked. I've come across one problem that's frustration to say the least and it's really annoying. o_O

Now that when I reboot my laptop it boots just fine and now the blank black screen comes on with just the cursor present. I've waited and even rebooted a few times and it's still the same.

What can I do to fix this problem, please? and any help is greatly appreciated. :)

Thank you for your time on helping me out,

[ 179 ] :eek:

2. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    Try if you can launch Task Manager through CTRL+Shift+ESC or CTRL+ALT+DEL and try to launch explorer.exe, if this works start RegEdit and go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon", look at the value of "Shell" and be sure it's "explorer.exe"

If you can not start explorer but Task Manager, run "sfc /scannow" as admin.

May help, may not.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Did Windows boot completely, means, boot totally and just the final screen is black? Or, if that screen came before: on what stage of booting?

Thanks.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. sToRmInG

sToRmInG MDL Novice

Sep 4, 2008
    This is due to the fact that the Intel graphics driver isn't working properly.
    I had to install Windows 8 again on my notebook (nvidia Optimus with an Intel HD4000 and a nvidia nvs 5400).

The driver which is installed during the setup of Windows 8.1 seems to work more stable but the driver you will get through Windows Update will screw the thing up as you described (Black screen with cursor only).

5. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    can you get the info from windows update on that driver? Should be able to select the update and click the link for more info. That might save some trouble later on for someone else. Thanks.

6. sToRmInG

sToRmInG MDL Novice

Sep 4, 2008
    #6 sToRmInG, Jul 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
    Well I don't have Windows 8.1 Preview installed anymore on my notebook but I suppose it would be driver with version number 9.18.10.3222 (Graphics Drivers for Windows 8.1 Upgrade,Windows Drivers, Intel Corporation driver update for Intel(R) HD Graphics) as far as I can remember.

7. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  8. sToRmInG

sToRmInG MDL Novice

Sep 4, 2008