Windows 8.1 Preview to Windows 8.1 GA

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by mclightning88, Oct 18, 2013.

1. mclightning88

mclightning88 MDL Novice

Oct 18, 2013
    Hi, I am new here--just registered--and I have serious questions.

I downloaded W8.1 Preview a while ago on my desktop computer. I see that Microsoft has released W8.1 GA as of yesterday. I want to update to 8.1 GA, but I heard that if you're updating from the Preview, you will have to install ALL your Apps.

This stinks for me, because I have 100GB of games installed on this computer. HOWEVER, I heard of a workaround on how to keep your apps when going from Preview to RTM. It was the cversion removal utility. It made you update to RTM from Preview and it kept all your apps. (I also heard that you could just delete cversion.ini from the iso file too). I heard that the RTM comes with updates within Windows Update that got RTM to GA.

My questions are the following:

1. Does the cversion removal utility work when going from Preview to GA (assuming GA's iso contains cversion.ini) ?
    1a. If so, should I download W8.1 GA from Windows Store, install the iso to DVD, run the utility, etc?

OR

2. Where can I find a valid RTM iso of Windows 8.1 64-bit en-US?
    2a. What appropriate steps should I take after downloading the RTM?

3. Is there an easier way? I could just run the update from Windows Store and have to install ALL those games. :eek: Obviously, the safest way.

I have never done this stuff before, so thorough guidelines will help me a lot. Thanks!

2. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    make a clean install instead of doing any update from preview to full

3. CatNoise

CatNoise MDL Novice

Jan 18, 2011
    Try setup.exe /auto:upgrade

4. MissKaizen

MissKaizen MDL Novice

Oct 18, 2013
    But would we be able to successfully clean install Windows 8.1 RTM from Pro Preview if all we have for a product key was the key provided by Microsoft on their Preview download page used to install Pro Preview? Reason why I ask is because I had dual booted Windows 8.1 Pro Preview with Windows 7 Ultimate using a VHD via ISO mount install.