Windows 8.1 Pro install.wim

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by ghazimustafa, Feb 26, 2015.

1. ghazimustafa

ghazimustafa MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2013
    Hi. I have a laptop which had Windows 8.1 Pro installed. There was recovery partition which was hidden and a empty D drive. I could previously do a recovery but when I put data in D it could no longer boot to recovery. I copied the recovery partition by EaseUS Partition Master 10.2 and made it drive D.

Then I made a bootable usb drive of 8.1 Enterprise and booted by usb and reset my PC. I thought that it was doing reset from the recovery partition but instead I got Win 8.1 Enterprise. I want my old window back. Can i make a custom iso from this image and again do reset and get my windows.

I have downloaded "en_windows_8.1_pro_vl_with_update_x64_dvd_6050880" and can i replace the install.wim file with the one in it by ultraiso or any other tool. The install.wim file is 5.2 gb and I have read that UEFI computers can boot only from FAT32 usb which has file limit of 4 gb.

Suggest me what should I do. Any tutorials or links will be highly helpful

I have checked murphy's integration and tutorial at finalthought.org but it is difficult for me to learn in few days

2. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    See here and get the Sku and key that's on your computer ..

3. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Convert the install.wim to install.esd & that will be under 4gb. That way you can use that on your fat32 formatted usb key. W#indows setup/install will see the esd & use that instead of the wim...

4. Rab

Rab MDL Member

May 18, 2009
    1) You can try to first make recovery partition bootable using the same partition program you used in your question. It MIGHT give you the option to recover from there.

2) Try to use two usb sticks. The first one woud be your enterprise stick with the install.wim removed. Note thet UEFI, just as you said needs FAT32.
    When you click install switch the usb stick to a NTFS formatted stick containing your recovery wim and choose to install that one.
    This generally doesnt work for me since the wim usually is applied with custom scripts etc not present during this metode.

3) Not to blow my own horn, but you might want to read this . A tutorial I put togeather to clean install a OEM computer. It woud work just fine for you aswell, but wont install anything you doesnt put in there your selfe.
    Just remember that following it WILL REMOVE EVERYTHING on that hard drive prior to install and it WILL NOT BE RECOVERABLE afterwards, so make sure you have backups before hand.

4) Google your make, model and "recoverypartition broken" or any variation of this. You will find tons of people with similar problems who might point you in the right direction.

5. ghazimustafa

ghazimustafa MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2013
    #5 ghazimustafa, Mar 3, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
    (OP)
    Any tutorial that you use particularly. Any link would be helpful. I have seen few of murphy's but what is best for a beginner. CAn you tell me what size will be of the esd of a 5.2 b wim file

6. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    #6 Flipp3r, Mar 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    My install.esd is 3.54GB. All indexes have .net enabled & offline updates through to Jan (I'm too lazy to update monthly).
    Just export each index:
    Code:
    Dism /export-image /sourceimagefile:install.wim /sourceindex:1 /destinationimagefile:Install.esd /compress:recovery
    Dism /export-image /sourceimagefile:install.wim /sourceindex:2 /destinationimagefile:Install.esd /compress:recovery
    etc..

7. fkar

fkar MDL Recognized Advisor

Nov 3, 2012
    #7 fkar, Mar 3, 2015
    Hi,
    May I know how many indexes you have in your AIO?
    Also, is your AIO x86 and x64 combined?

8. fkar

fkar MDL Recognized Advisor

Nov 3, 2012
    #8 fkar, Mar 3, 2015
    Go here http://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/54007-ESD-lt-gt-WIM-Conversion-batch?p=903619

Read that post carefully and download the attachment. That script will help you out to convert your wim to esd and vice versa.

Try and report back. Good luck. :)

9. Bezalel

Bezalel MDL Member

Apr 30, 2012
    You can make a split archive with 7-zip portable and restore it from within WinPE. Also IIRC you can boot to Fat32 and also connect a NTFS drive.

10. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Hi, 5 64bit indexes, Pro oem, Pro OA3, Core oem, Core OA3 & Bing OA3.
    So, really, there's only 3 as oem vs OA3 is just a product key change. No integrated drivers. All use the same winre.wim.
    I install from winpe similar to Murphy's guide, integrating drivers using dism...

Out of the 1000's of installs I've done I've never installed 32bit win8. Never been requested. Even the crappy atom shipped with 64bit...

11. ghazimustafa

ghazimustafa MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2013
    If I download WinPe and can I make partitions with it. Like the one microsoft recommmends for UEFI systems. I need to know how can I make install.wim bootable

12. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    You don't.
    1) Use a script to partition hdd.
    2) Use dism to extract the edition to your windows partition.
    3) Use bcdboot to create system files making it bootable.
    Have a look at this thread: murphy78-DiskPart-and-Apply-Image-Script

Dism supports wim, esd & swm (split wim). With this method you can install any install.???.
    You can also add drivers to your extracted OS using dism too.