Windows 8.1 Pro Store

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by zak7, Oct 11, 2013.

1. zak7

zak7 MDL Novice

Sep 9, 2013
    So I got a legit win 8.1 pro key and activated my windows 8.1, i paid 25$ for a retail key, i'm sure that spikes alot of jealousy here, but none the less, i went and tried to buy WMC or something, and i've read that it isn't available yet, since 8.1 isn't officially out int he US, but it went on to tell me that my region didnt have any products available at all, is there a way to change this or am i just stuck waiting...i can't find any way to get WMC on 8.1 without using an 8.0 key or something, which i don't have either...i've been thinking about trying a VM or something with 8.0 and using that, but digressed to just use plex for now... any ideas on WMC?

2. MSDNAA

MSDNAA MDL Senior Member

Aug 6, 2013
    You can upgrade to Windows 8.1 ProWMC if you have Windows 8 ProWMC Key, Microsoft offered it for free last year, the whole world obtained one or more. You can check with your friends or google for one.

Cheers

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. zak7

zak7 MDL Novice

Sep 9, 2013
    Like i said, i dont have a key for 8.0 WMC or PRo WMC...I was trying to get it for 8.1 from not having it....

4. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    he said, check google for a wmc key for 8 and use it for 8.1. Otherwise, MS may do the free offer again for 8.1 and at such a time there will be a link to get a key from ms then.

5. MSDNAA

MSDNAA MDL Senior Member

Aug 6, 2013
    There is no Windows 8 Core WMC, WMC is an addon for Windows 8 Pro. As i already said either you can search one in google if you are lucky you may end up finding one / pay some $$ to someone who has it. Windows 8.1 Pro / Pro Pack is not launched yet, I am wondering you must have bought a MSDN / Technet Key for $25, just becareful it may get blacklisted if the seller sells to multiple people.

Thanks

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    yeah for $25 sounds like it came from pratha lol

7. zak7

zak7 MDL Novice

Sep 9, 2013
    It's from a friend of mine, I think he's a TechNet MSDN or whatever vendor, i'm not worried about it getting blacklisted in the least, he owns a business. As for your suggestion to search google for a WMC key, I dont think i'll waste my time with that, i was looking on the M$ forums and supposedly WMC isn't even available for customers, they had some posts about people going as far as to call TechNet support and they say its not available yet, so i guess i just have to wait.

8. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    Shame on him :p:biggrin:

9. MSDNAA

MSDNAA MDL Senior Member

Aug 6, 2013
    #9 MSDNAA, Oct 12, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
    What do you mean by WMC is not available for customers? Technet / MSDN Support has nothing to do with WMC Key, because it is not available in those subscriptions it can only be purchased from Microsoft Store / Retailer. Last year around this time MS giveaway WMC Key for free you just have to register to get one. I don't know where you were at that time. There is no need to "you have to wait for this"

Sorry he is not that cheap, he sells for $125. You are wrong about him. o_O

10. FaiKee

FaiKee Misinformation spreader

Jul 24, 2009
    Install a win8 Pro and check (in control panel->add features to windows 8), and see if you could still buy a WMC key for $9.9., it will work on 8.1 just the same. :D

btw, couldn't see any cause for jealousy here for $25.(LOL):biggrin3:

11. zak7

zak7 MDL Novice

Sep 9, 2013
    I don't have a windows 8 pro key, it seems like i'm not explaining myself properly, I have a Windows 8.1 Pro key, and installed windows 8.1 Pro, when i go to the add features to windows 8.1, it says its buying a new product is not available in my region, that is what i'm saying i have to wait for, not for a giveaway a year ago. you brought that up, not me (at MSDNAA) I don't see how a year ago's give away for windows 8 would help me on 8.1 now...I didn't have or want windows 8 a year ago, so I wasn't "around" to get the key.

I assume they'll make WMC for 8.1 available when its released on the 18th or whatever...So that's what i'm talking about waiting for, as for windows 8's WMC working on 8.1, I don't even see how i'd go about installing 8.0's WMC on 8.1 now...

Either way, I'm over this, i'm using plex for now, when the store works for my region i guess i'll approach this again.

12. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    If M$ says Not available in your region what makes you think it is available in my region, I'm sure WMC will be available when RTM-GA is released.... and not prior to anywhere in the WWW.
    besides I gave all my Windows 8 Pro WMC keys away... ;)

13. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    I gave mine away as well, I don't even use WMC but had to do some checking things out kinda things and stuff.. yeah..

but if they offer free give away again, Ill be sure to get some keys to give to people who missed out. Some people are pretty slow at getting to those offers.. somethin like weeks later after the offer is over and stuff.. yeah.