Windows 8.1 Released or not? Confused

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by zaheerabbas, Sep 17, 2013.

1. zaheerabbas

zaheerabbas MDL Novice

Feb 8, 2013
    Hello,

I have confusion, i have read on some sites, populor forums that windows 8.1 is going to realese on 18 october 2013.
    Is this offical date by microsoft?

If yes, why everyone here is asking for how to upgrade to windows 8.1? and i see some download links here in the post "Windows 8 Repostiory"

Is this safe to download the windows from leaked links?

One more thing i have windows 8 professional x64 version. can i first install simple windows 8 pro? can i update it to windows 8.1 rtm?

2. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Yes its released on MSDN and TechNet and yes the links are safe and genuine and yes MS are releasing it as an update in October

But you could have learned all that by reading the forums ;)

3. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT MDL Addicted

Sep 1, 2007
    @zaheerabbas, Microsoft got done with Windows 8.1 on August 22nd, if I remember correctly. Every time they finish Windows and some other of their software like Office, they don't make it publicly available immediately. They typically wait three or more months before officially releasing it even though it's done.

It gives time for all the manufacturing process to be done, all the Windows 8.1 DVDs to be burned for retail, all the retail packages to be made ready, all the OEMs like Dell and HP to get it put on their PCs, and also gives MS time to discover last minute big flaws that they can then correct via Windows Updates as long as the consumer uses that when they install Windows.

And yes, what MrMagic said...read! :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. WinDev

WinDev MDL Expert

Jul 6, 2013
    27 August 2013 - First Windows 8.1 RTM leaked (Enterprise zh-CN)
    29 August 2013 - Windows 8.1 released by WZT team (RTM for OEMs)
    09 September 2013 - Windows 8.1 Core/Pro editions released on MSDN
    17 September 2013 - Windows 8.1 Pro VL and Enterprise VL editions released on MSDN. Windows 8.1 appears on Dreamspark, covers leaked.
    18 October 2013 - General availability