Windows 8.1 RTM actually has not the quality to be a final release already.

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Yen, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Aequilibrium

Aequilibrium MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2012
    I can't say i agree with the article. So far it works like any other RTM...

3. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
    Question is... what are these bugs and issues that are so severe exactly?

4. Aequilibrium

Aequilibrium MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2012
    Exactly! Sounds like the usual bashing without even given a try...

5. srisan

srisan MDL Member

Sep 5, 2012
    may be but my rtm works for me flawlessy :D no issues tiill now may be some features missing from video ( bugs may be little ) ms giving explanation for their cover up story :D who knows i activated with my genuine wmc key :D

6. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Usual bashing, the original article was written by Antoine Leblond who serves as Senior vice president for the Windows Web Services team of Microsoft Corporation.

7. djdare

djdare MDL Novice

Nov 24, 2007
    We will (already have) find bugs in this Win8.1.
    Yesterday i could not install it to my laptop via usb... Tested with Win7 SP1 flawlessy.
    How buggy it is, only time will tell.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. chienjy

chienjy MDL Junior Member

Aug 10, 2012
    M$ always seems update ! update ! update ! patch ! patch ! patch !

9. WinDev

WinDev MDL Expert

Jul 6, 2013
    If it's a true, I will name this build as ''Build 9599'' :D.

10. Aequilibrium

Aequilibrium MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2012
    I installed mine from usb and no problems whatsoever :)

11. Aequilibrium

Aequilibrium MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2012
    General bashing...

12. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    The only thing that seems to be confirmed is that those subscribers have no official access to it (yet).
    I suspect there are no major bugs left. Due to a new kernel release driver issues / availability can be expected, though...HW performance issues.....

13. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    If that is caused by a bug in Windows, it is a Windows setup error, which means that a post install fix won't work. Sometimes there are updates to the setup, but you need an internet connection for that and in most likelihood you cannot download required updates during install.

Microsoft could be alluding a final build of 16385. For OEM's this would mean a big non-general release update from 16384 to 16385. I guess for those out of the loop (almost all of us) it's a guessing game at the moment. Other reasons not to install Windows 8.1 at the moment include:
    - indows drivers not having 8.1 support in the latest iterations currently
    - not having full program support
    - lack of activation support (through proper and 'other' means)
    - proper unsigned theme support
    - start menu alternatives support
    - lack of Windows updates, including critical security updates each month (until final release)
    - several other reasons...

That said, as soon as it has proper useability it should be used over Windows 8.

14. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
    Driver support in-general shouldn't be a problem, at least it wasn't in my case anyway (if it works in 8, it works in 8.1, only exception I found being graphics drivers, and both AMD and NVIDIA (maybe even Intel) have beta/preview drivers for 8.1)

Same as above, only with a few more restrictions. Typically anything that does a hard-coded check on specific system files and versions (game anti-cheat engines) will probably fail.

Had no problem with activation with my upgrade key on my desktop and OEM key on my laptop; I imagine people without legitimate means to activate may have an interesting time though (not really surprised though imo)

Both kind of cosmetic reasons I guess; I know I couldn't care less about either lol

Probably the biggest reason imo. Although, since OEM's have access to it legitimately, surely MS would want to push updates for them?

15. bseos

bseos MDL Member

Dec 5, 2007
    #15 bseos, Aug 30, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
    Article is spot on.
    Installed Win8.1 RTM Ent VL EN and it constantly is getting BSOD and drivers are seizing up.
    Makes we wish i stuck with windows 8. Now i got a broken s**tty OS.

This is the first time i have had massive issues with a RTM build. Makes vista's release seem like nothing.

EDIT: My bad. turns out it was a bad OC. Must have been a weird coincidence that it started when i installed Win8.1.
    Well, it was either the OC or sleep state C1E that was causing me grief.

16. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
    #16 Espionage724, Aug 30, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
    I really want to see such issues in-person o_O

I've tried 8, 8.1 Preview, I think the 9471 leak, and 8.1 RTM, on two different computers, and have had no random freezes (except on my Desktop after a fresh install of 8, but that was fixed with drivers), lockups, or even BSoDs. I know not everyone has the same kind of hardware, but it makes me feel any issues are either:

- Isolated to that person's particular hardware setup
    - User-error (OC'ing improperly, loose cable, some other silly thing)
    - The fault of something else that isn't Windows (could be Realtek's ethernet driver shutting off when it isn't supposed to, NVIDIA's GPU not working with TDR, who knows)

Big emphasis on the last one though. People like to blame an entire operating system than something else. For example, I install Linux, and try to play games over Wine with it. It fails horribly. Should I, like most people, instantly blame Linux entirely, or maybe I should blame Wine for not properly supporting a certain GL extension, or my graphics driver for not properly enabling that extension for Wine to detect? The last two blame choices require some research, but it's much easier to just blame Linux :rolleyes:

Could keep going on about it too lol; especially with Vista...

17. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    One fact we all know: There isn't any 100% finished Software!

Like it or not, comparing Microsoft Software with those from other Developers, MS is hard working to get Bugs fixed in the most short time possible. If you take a look at Apple, they need Month, not one instead several to fix bugs IF they ever do! So it's by other developer as well.

Microsoft was pushed by partners and user's for to bring out in the most possible short period an Replacement for Windows 8! And if you take a look just on the MDL forum, the majority of the Member were going the exact same way! And if you even take a closer look at the scenario at MDL, you'll find out that the most bad comments were coming from those who even declined not to pay as little as 15 bucks! No, they had only one in mind: use the products of Microsoft for free and bush MS as much as possible!

As Yen was wrote in an answer to one of my posts, there isn't any objectivity by the members and others! And Yen is exactly right with that!

From my work with users of Windows 8, I could truly tell, that there were much less problems to solve as even with Windows 7 and were nothing compare to that huge amount of problem using Windows XP! In reality the OS's from Microsoft get's with every new version better and more stable, less problematic!

This are just my 2 Satangs (Thai Pennies)!

18. bseos

bseos MDL Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Most likely my motherboard? (Asus p8z68-v lx). USB devices are seizing up. Mouse keeps disconnecting and reconnecting.
    BSOD when trying to restart or shutdown. Getting different bsod messages (ex. "clock interrupt").

Never had some many issues ever, and to be honest im quite surprised since everything worked fine on windows 8.
    Looks like major changes have been implemented in 8.1 for s**t to be this f**ked up.

19. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    Win 8.1 ProWMC legit activated system is working like a dream here.
    File system is about as fast as win7, a big upgrade from win8.0
    Graphical stuff seems a little less laggy than win8.0, but not quite as fast as win7
    With drivers upgraded through windows update, there's no screen tearing from vsync like you get plagued with in win7

I've ran into no hardware incompatibilities at all. I've also had no crashes or errors at all.

20. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
    Hmm, does that motherboard have USB 3.0? Are you using the 3.0 ports at all, or even with the mouse?

There's also something called USB selective suspend under Power Options, may want to try disabling it. Another option is to disable Legacy USB support from BIOS/UEFI.