Windows 8.1 RTM news app language setting + search broken

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by GL-5, Oct 14, 2013.

1. GL-5

GL-5 MDL Novice

Dec 13, 2010
    I installed windows 8.1 x64 RTM on my laptop using my W8 key and MC key and discovered that in settings/options I can't change the news app language and sources to be anything other than english (I wanted China/Chinese). Where as in my W8 desktop news app settings/options I get many more languages to chose from than just english. I installed the Chinese display language pack but news app sources are still offered only in English. Has anyone else noticed this?

Is this just a restriction of the single language RTM releases? I'm just wondering a fresh installation of W8.1 will always have missing options and will have to just upgrade from my W8 disc inorder to have full functionality.

Also my mail app search function is broken. It doesn't have search mail as an option just everywhere/settings/files and web. Most of the control panel settings when using search are greyed out and wont launch.

I don't know if this is related to the language settings in the news app but the search function definately is broken on my install.

Any ideas?

Thanks

2. GL-5

GL-5 MDL Novice

Dec 13, 2010
    Installing the updates after 8.1 official release fixed the news app, all languages are now available.

Selecting PC Settings from search in the charms bar is still broken, most likely from using ccleaner or wise registry cleaner. I haven't been able to restore that functionality yet.