Windows 8.1 RTM - Skype app has replaced the Messaging app

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by edgr.sanchez, Sep 3, 2013.

1. edgr.sanchez

edgr.sanchez MDL Novice

Jan 31, 2013
    So, given that the Messenger app worked with Facebook and Live Messenger (now Skype)...

Can someone instruct me on how to add my Facebook account into the 8.1 RTM Skype app?

Windows 8.1 RTM ships with Skype, so I assume that Skype is already fully functional.

2. srisan

srisan MDL Member

Sep 5, 2012
    i se skype and messanger ppl online thats it not fb :( i cant complete signuout from mobile skype frgt method )

3. MrChris

MrChris MDL Addicted

Jun 23, 2007
    I sign into Skype on windows 8 using the "sign in using Microsoft account" link that is on the sign in screen in Skype.

4. PGHammer

PGHammer MDL Senior Member

Oct 14, 2011
    Skype is fully functional, and is, in fact, unchanged from the ModernUI version that is in the Windows App Store.

AFAIK, you cannot Skype to Facebook accounts directly; however, if the FB and Skype accounts are linked (mine are), you can Skype-to-Skype via Facebook

Quite honestly, I'd rather Skype directly.

5. edgr.sanchez

edgr.sanchez MDL Novice

Jan 31, 2013
    What does that have to do with what I asked? The only way to sign into Skype is by using a Skype username/password or a Microsoft Account.

Not sure you understood what I was asking.

(Assuming you have your Facebook and Skype accounts linked to your Microsoft Account)

If you go to to Outlook.com, you'll see that using the Messages pane on the right side, you can chat with Facebook contacts, Skype contacts, Gchat contacts.

If you go to the Skype for desktop application, you'll see that you can also chat with your Facebook contacts as well as your Skype contacts.

Now if you go to the Skype app (Start Screen), you'll notice that you can ONLY chat with Skype.

The Skype app was supposed to be improved for Windows 8.1 since they removed the Messages app from the OS.

6. trbanglang

trbanglang MDL Novice

Aug 28, 2013
    I like Messaging app on Windows 8 RTM Build 9200. Dislike Skype on 8.1

7. evo21

evo21 MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2009
    We are not suposed to be using 8.1 just yet (not even MSDN/Technet have it) so Microsoft can still update the Skype app in time for GA.