Windows 8.1 RTM Xbox 360 Media Center Extender - Black Screen

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by JakeStockton, Sep 5, 2013.

1. JakeStockton

JakeStockton MDL Novice

Sep 4, 2013
    I installed 8.1 rtm as an upgrade over 8.1 preview and was immediately able to stream live and recorded wtv files/programs to my Xbox Media Center Extender without error.

After a several hours and maybe 1 or two reboots, all video (wtv, avi, etc) streamed to the Media Center Extender turned black after 5-6 seconds. Audio could still be heard, but there was no video and my Xbox remote control functions would stop working. I could go to the Xbox Blade Menu.

I went back to a manually saved restore point and still had the same problem.

Then I did a clean install of 8.1 rtm and again, everything was working properly again. Approx an hour later video streaming to the Xbox Media Center Extender went black.

"Play To" Media Center Extender also had the same problem, only that video would go black after 2 seconds.

If I return to the Xbox home screen and "Play To" Xbox 360 - video steams properly, although expectedly the ff/skip etc would not work.

I noticed that when the video would play normally to MCX one of the two Media Center Extender devices was not completely installed.

One of the devices has the IP address starting with 192.xxx and the other starts with either 127...

It takes some fiddling around, but if I

1. remove the association of the Media Center and Extender
    2. delete all Xbox and Extender devices
    3. reboot the xbox
    4. Reestablish the Xbox and Media Center association
    5. Allow the devices to be found and created (sometimes the Media Center Extender w/192. fails to complete installation)
    6. Then Disable the MCX in Device Manager that references 192. and leave the one which references the 127

I have had dececent success with getting the above to work, but Every time I turn off my Xbox or leave MCX I need to follow the above steps again.

It's been 1 day since my last clean Win8.1 rtm clean install and I already have am up to Mcx-11 user! :eek:

My current build is a clean (non-upgrade)
    Windows 8.1 rtm
    AMD A8-3850
    AMD Radeon HD 6550D (MS WDDM 1.2) v 13.150.102.0

I have also used the AMD Radeon Preview driver
    Yesterday Win Update pushed an update to the 6550D

Any thoughts from uses on how I can set up a more reliable connection to Xbox Media Extender?

2. JakeStockton

JakeStockton MDL Novice

Sep 4, 2013
    Well, as it turns out - after many, many hours (several days) I have figured out what the problem actually is.

The problem is with the Ceton My Media Center.

I uninstalled the software and now the video miraculously does not disappear after a few seconds.

3. SquirrelSF

SquirrelSF MDL Novice

Mar 19, 2010
    Thanks - worked for me too

Had the same exact problem and thank you for finding the solution. I was only up to MCX user #5, haha.