Windows 8.1 Setup.exe Closes Almost Instantly

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by qwerties, Apr 24, 2014.

1. qwerties

qwerties MDL Novice

Apr 24, 2014
    Hi, when I try to open windows 8.1 setup.exe on the mounted iso which i got from the murph78 page, the blue windows 8 logo appears for about a second before disspearing, if i run setup.exe inside the sources folder, the blue window with "setup is copying files" appears, but then it changes to "setup.exe is starting" and closes as well. I tried running the setup with /auto:upgrade but that didn't help.

The iso is Windows 8.1 with Update (multiple editions) (x64).

Can anyone help me with why it is I cant run the exe without it closing? I tried it mounted through both daemon tools and through the regular windows explorer but with the same result.

2. FaiKee

FaiKee Misinformation spreader

Jul 24, 2009
    If you have another win8/8.1 ISO, replace the install.wim in the ISO with the install.wim from murphy's ISO.

If you don't, tell us:
    - what's in murphy's ISO, install.wim or install.esd?
    - what windows you are running.
    :p

3. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    verify your hash with the msdn downloads listing and shut down any anti-virus programs

4. qwerties

qwerties MDL Novice

Apr 24, 2014
    #4 qwerties, Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
    (OP)
    Thanks for the reply, i have another windows 8.1 install iso which also wouldnt open, and a windows 8 iso which does, im copying the installl.wim from murphys iso into it and ill try that now, and i'm running windows 8 pro, i believe.

Edit: Yep it worked, thanks man. So weird i had to use the windows 8 iso to get it to start.

Edit 2: spoke too soon, gave an error at the last step of the install saying it couldnt complete due to a corrupted install file, but im booting into windows 8 anyway to see what happens

Edit 3: Yep, seems to work only everything was left in windows.old instead of transferred over, nothing i cant probably do myself

5. FaiKee

FaiKee Misinformation spreader

Jul 24, 2009
    Fine, I thought I would have passed the ball back to murphy. :D