Windows 8.1 "Test Mode" watermark removal

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Fabulist, Apr 19, 2014.

1. Fabulist

Fabulist MDL Novice

Jul 25, 2011
    Hello everyone,

I know this topic has been brought up thousands of times, but still, I am unable to find an up-to-date solution that is functioning with Windows 8.1 Pro UP1 x64.

To summarize, I need to have "Test Mode" enabled in order to load certain drivers, but I also need to remove the watermark for various reasons. I have tried many solutions found online, but only one worked, partially, and I cannot reverse its changes:

I used the program "My_WCP_Watermark_Editor", found here, which removed the "Test Mode" but not the "Windows 8.1 Pro" and the "Build 9600" watermark parts.

Also, whenever I try relaunching this software, I receive the message: "Are you sure you are in Windows 8 Beta?", and the program shuts down, so I do not really know how to reverse its changes or if it can further remove the rest of the watermark that remains.

I kindly request that someone assists me on this issue, I am willing to try absolutely anything, as I have found no light within the darkness for the past week that I have been researching this.

Thanks to anyone who responds to this thread in advance!

2. Fabulist

Fabulist MDL Novice

Jul 25, 2011
    Thank you for your response. Now, I see "Test Mode" and "Build 9600" after replacing both files :ranting:

3. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    The attachment won't work, you need to do it the manual way. Download the latest resource hacker and remove the strings on your original 8.1 versions of those files.

4. Fabulist

Fabulist MDL Novice

Jul 25, 2011
    I did not take a backup, given that the files were already altered from the software and it did not create any backup either (I did not know which files it alters, until I used it). Not a smart thing to do - do you have the originals so I can give it a shot?

PS: I have never interacted with "resource hacker", will I be able to do what is necessary regardless?

5. Fabulist

Fabulist MDL Novice

Jul 25, 2011
    Update:

I was wrong, backups were created (.bak) only that I did not see them. I restored them and used resource hacker according to the instructions. However, I still see "Test Mode" and "Build 9600" (like before I restored them).

I assume the lines I removed were responsible for the watermark of evaluation copies and previews, hence they did not affect the ones I see?

Please, I require further assistance with this.

6. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Hopefully you are aware that you're trying to create a real Frankenbuild in case of success :g:. The edited part is btw also responsible for showing current Version in Sys Panel and some WMI querries.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Fabulist

Fabulist MDL Novice

Jul 25, 2011
    Still, my only concern is to remove the two line watermark.

8. vista00

vista00 MDL Junior Member

Apr 26, 2014
    +1...You are totally right, I've re-installed windows before cause this:D

9. Fabulist

Fabulist MDL Novice

Jul 25, 2011
    Regardless, does anyone know how to do it and is willing to explain?