Windows 8.1 To Go problem

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by matej.focko, Nov 21, 2013.

1. matej.focko

matej.focko MDL Novice

Oct 20, 2013
    Hello everyone, I've installed the Windows 8.1 to the partition of my WD Elements 1TB USB3.0 disk. It's working, BUT when I tried it to start on the notebook ASUS PRO5DIJ which has Award BIOS it won't boot, today I tried to boot it on the another computer built as Prestigio and it didn't boot, too. I didn't have time, so I think I saw the Award BIOS. There's something really funny. I've got computer with ASUS motherboard which has Award BIOS and there's no problem in booting. Booting stop at the flashing underscore. I can restart it as much as I want and nothing. Can you help me, please?

2. Krutonium

Krutonium MDL Senior Member

Aug 27, 2013
    Make sure the other computers can Boot from USB, and make sure USB is set to boot...

3. MrG

MrG MDL Expert

May 31, 2010
    #3 MrG, Nov 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2013
    Plug it into a USB 2.0 port on the PC that wont boot using the 3.0 port.

Edit: To boot my W2Go USB 3.0 on my main rig (ASUS MB + AMI UEFI Bios) I have to plug the flash drive into the USB 2.0 port, I have read on the ASUS forums for my MB that upgrading the Bios might help w/ this problem.

4. matej.focko

matej.focko MDL Novice

Oct 20, 2013
    I've got the Kingston DT Workspace 32GB with Windows 8 (not 8.1) and it's USB3, too. And it can boot on all of tested computers. I've got Acer Aspire 5315 which I didn't try. And no offense I'm not in IT two days, I've got successful OS X Mavericks on PC installed and I made W8.1 AIO with three languages. I should've write it above. I'M NOT NOOB :p

5. matej.focko

matej.focko MDL Novice

Oct 20, 2013
    #5 matej.focko, Nov 22, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
    (OP)
    I thought it's a problem of Award BIOS, but now it's looking as problem with computers which have integrated Intel graphics and Award BIOS.
    FYI: It booted on Acer Aspire 5315 (Acer and Intel), on PC (Asus and nVidia) and on PC (Dell and Intel).

Edit: I've updated BIOS before on notebook and nothing. I thought about that too, because I previously worked on computer where doesn't work Windows 7 and after updating BIOS it can boot also Windows 8. And on computers where can't boot there's not USB3. I think it's something with integrated Intel graphics and Award BIOS. I don't have AMD APU platform to test.

6. matej.focko

matej.focko MDL Novice

Oct 20, 2013
    Isn't there anyone who can help?