(Windows 8.1) "Turn live tile on/off" missing from Photos app

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by ailailou, Oct 8, 2013.

1. ailailou

ailailou MDL Novice

Aug 6, 2012
    Good day to you all.

If I Right Click on the Photos app on the start menu the option "Turn live tile on/off" is missing. I used Windows 8 before upgrading, and I remember it had the option. I wanted to have a small slideshow of my photo gallery on the live tile.

Other apps (such as mail, weather, store etc) are not missing the option and are working fine.

Any ideas what might be wrong? I know that the preview version didn't have this problem.

2. cuteee

cuteee MDL Guru

Oct 13, 2012
    Open the Photos app and choose picture, press win key and you'll see the option "turn live tile off".

3. ailailou

ailailou MDL Novice

Aug 6, 2012
    If I press the Win key it will just take me to the start menu screen, and back in the app if I press it again. Win key simply navigates between these two.

To be more precise, this is the button down there in the bar that I'm missing:

lG5lIUN.png

4. cuteee

cuteee MDL Guru

Oct 13, 2012
    If the tile of the photos app show pictures change (in start screen) you'll see the option "turn live tile off".

5. ailailou

ailailou MDL Novice

Aug 6, 2012
    That's exactly the problem, it's not working, there are no photos showing. The image I included above is from another website, I just wanted to point out more precisely the option that is missing. There is no "Turn live tile on/off" to start with.

6. catdog215

catdog215 MDL Senior Member

Oct 21, 2009
    I thought I'm the only one. My Windows8.1 Photo didn't work either. Please share if you find solution. thx

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    guys check you graphic driver

8. catdog215

catdog215 MDL Senior Member

Oct 21, 2009
    I installed the latest driver from nVidia site and still Photo live is not working. I'm on Win8.1 w/media ctr

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    perhaps the event manager tells you some more details

10. pilot76103

pilot76103 MDL Member

Jul 30, 2009
    I'm having the exact same problem and have found the issue to be related to my Microsoft account. For some reason any account on my desktop linked to the Microsoft account causes a problem with the Photos app crashing. If I remove the Microsoft account from my user profile photos works fine. This does not happen on my other systems.

11. Goldenbaby

Goldenbaby MDL Novice

Oct 18, 2013
    Good Morning,

I had the same issue, once I upgraded from Windows 8 to the just released 8.1... Here is how I fixed it and thankfully it worked.

1. Go to your photo's --> options --> turn shuffle off
    2. Browse to C:\Users\your_user_name\AppData\Local\Packages\FileManager_cw5n1h2txyewy\LocalState
    3. Rename the two files that are with the .dat extension (I renamed mine .datold just in case it didn't work) It was also recommended to Delete all the Tile*.jpg files and any *.dat files – you may have two.
    But because I had no Tile files that I didn't have to worry about it, I just renamed the .dat files
    4. Go back to your photo app, and turn on the shuffle.

Once I did that it started to work :) Figured I would share what I stumbled on. Because I'm new I can't post the link to the article :-( Sorry

12. Zeem Frostmaw

Zeem Frostmaw MDL Novice

Oct 18, 2013
    I can confirm the above fix worked for me too. :) I only had one .dat file, but renaming that and enabling shuffling kicked the photos live tile back into action. Many thanks!

13. jetpuck73

jetpuck73 MDL Novice

Oct 18, 2013
    Didn't work for me, still missing.

14. Nightshade

Nightshade MDL Novice

Jan 1, 2011
    Same for me.. doesn't work.

I have several that there are no options for live tiles but they are active on my tablet...

Missing Live tile options
    - Photos
    - Facebook
    - Netflix
    Has Live tile options
    - Plex
    - Mail
    - calendar
    - News
    - Store etc....

seems kinda strange that only some of them are not working... suspect there may be a registry key somewhere that will need to be adjusted?

15. jetpuck73

jetpuck73 MDL Novice

Oct 18, 2013
    #15 jetpuck73, Dec 30, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
    I just reformatted my computer and now it works.

16. jetpuck73

jetpuck73 MDL Novice

Oct 18, 2013
    Works now with the updates that came yesterday.

17. friendlynadeem41

friendlynadeem41 MDL Novice

Feb 20, 2014
    follow this to get rid of this problem

i was suffering with the same problem, but not now,

go to charms, then settings, then options
    made shuffle photos on the photos tile ''on''

if this not works,
    open any image & set as photo tile then go to charms,then settings,then options
    made shuffle photos on the photos tile "on"

if above steps did not works for u, u can refresh (or reinstall) win8 in PC settings

18. friendlynadeem41

friendlynadeem41 MDL Novice

Feb 20, 2014
    follow this to get rid of this problem

i was suffering with the same problem, but not now,

to rid of this follow these info
    open photos app then
    go to charms, then settings, then options
    made shuffle photos on the photos tile ''on''

if this not works,
    open any image & set as photo tile then go to charms,then settings,then options
    made shuffle photos on the photos tile "on"

if above steps did not works for u, u can refresh (or reinstall) win8 in PC settings