Windows 8.1 upd1 random deactivated status...

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Asxetos, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Asxetos

Asxetos MDL Novice

Jun 7, 2008
    Please give me a clue guys...
    My laptop with Windows 8.1 update 1 was activated with a MAK key, phone method (before update 1). No problems at all until i applied update 1.

For the last couple of months my installation shows an erratic activation behavior.

Many times when i turn it on, i see the "Windows 8.1 enterprise build 9600" watermark on the corner (although My Computer-Properties showed it's activated) , and a couple of times it prompted me to reactivate. Even My Computer-Properties showed i am NOT activated.

Usually a reboot cycle fixes it.

WTF???

2. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    #2 s1ave77, Jun 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Provide output for (in admin Command Prompt):

Code:
    cscript slmgr.vbs /dlv

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. mabaega

mabaega MDL Senior Member

Dec 30, 2010
    Have you disabled some hardware?

it happen to me when i disable my lancard and/or replace my IDE controller driver.

4. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    Hm. recently I cloned a 1TB HDD to 1TB SSD using Clonezilla. Unplugged old disc and plugged in new one without loosing neither activation of Os nor Office 15 :tasty:

5. mabaega

mabaega MDL Senior Member

Dec 30, 2010
    on other computer,
    i have tray replace my Notebook Harddisk, and no problem with my activation.
    and other test, i have replace my PC VGA Card, and no problem too. all still activated.
    :)

6. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    HD serial number only takes 1 strike IIRC and it requires 4 strikes to de-activate.

HD + different MAC address would do it.

7. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    This is usually from either changing key on accident, or from hardware (sometimes even driver) changes.
    I've heard stories about installation id changing from simply changing a driver.
    I suspect that Windows is somehow using the complete hardware id string as the hashing component and if one part of the string changes, it might change the whole thing.
    That is just speculation though... it would require some testing.

In the meantime, why don't you try verifying that your MAK hasn't changed to the KMS key if you've been playing with a KMS activator for office and changed Windows activation on accident.

8. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    I have that on (dual boot) Windows 8.1 up Pro at times, the Enterprise is always OK, what I do is go to MS and Let them check Activation, and it goes away....
    I click the "watermark Get Activated now" and it goes away ... now remember this only happens at times and it on a Dual Boot System - and only when I select Pro