Windows 8.1 Update

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by chodu, Jan 18, 2014.

1. chodu

chodu MDL Novice

May 16, 2013
    Dear All

I have Windows 8 Pro and wants to upgrade to Windows 8.1 Pro currently I'm in the process of downloading Windows 8.1 Pro I would like to know if there is any chance I can do in place upgrade and keep all my programms and windows 8 Apps installed on several different user account on the same PC as well as personal files, which are stored on separate partioned drive.

I also wanted to know whether I can use same tool kit (Microsoft Toolkit 2.4.3) that I used to activate Windows 8 Pro, if for any reason I would need another copy Windows 8.1 Pro Tool kit please direct me to the suitable place to look for.

Thanks

2. xakerz

xakerz MDL Novice

Jan 17, 2014
    I suppose you might be able to upgrade your windows through the Windows store: windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/update-from-windows-8-tutorial

3. jakebb

jakebb MDL Novice

Dec 17, 2012
    Yes you can do an upgrade without reinstalling, you will need the latest version of microsoft toolkit though (currently 2.5 beta 5)

It is better to do a clean installation though, there is less chance of issues.

4. chodu

chodu MDL Novice

May 16, 2013
    No, I can't do the upgrade via Windows store I have followed all the steps outline in the Microsoft windows 8 tutorial and other forum as well. This is because I have used volume licence, which means I can't get update through normal means. I'm in a needs of suitable toolkit to reactivate Windows 8.1 Pro or Windows Enterprise

5. CorporateRAT

CorporateRAT MDL Member

Aug 4, 2012
    All you need is windows 8.1 pro VL iso from MSDN and Microsoft tollkit 2.5 beta.

6. chodu

chodu MDL Novice

May 16, 2013
    Thanks for your quick replay

Based on the information provided above I assume the current Microsoft Toolkit 2.4.3 I have is incapable of reactivating Windows 8.1 Pro...If this is the case where shall I find the newer version of toolkit and also if it's in its beta cycle does it mean it less reliable?

I have also heard of KMS (KMSpico) portable, where can I find a reliable copy of it, if this version is more popular?

Thanks

7. CorporateRAT

CorporateRAT MDL Member

Aug 4, 2012
    Go to "MDL projects and applications" section of forum. All the info you need is there.

8. steven4554

steven4554 MDL Addicted

Jul 12, 2009
  9. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    KMS-activated versions of Windows 8.0 cannot be upgraded via the store. You would need to get your hands on an 8.1 RTM ISO.
    Use the default key to install if using a retail version such as the Multiple Editions (core/pro retail iso)
    If you use the VL versions (Pro or Enterprise) they will already be set to the gVLK so you won't need to mess with the key.

Once in 8.1, use the latest MTK (2.5 beta or greater)
    If you installed a retail version, you either need to manually set the gVLK or use the EZ-Activator button
    If you used a volume version, you can simply install autokms and click the Activate button or just reboot.

You might want to un-install the 2.4.3 activator before upgrading.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. chodu

chodu MDL Novice

May 16, 2013
    Thanks

I have tested Microsoft tollkit 2.5 beta and it works great