Windows 8.1 upgrade failed. How to diagnose?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Myrrh, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    #1 Myrrh, Sep 2, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
    Upgrading from Windows 8 ProWMC on a Dell Studio 1535 laptop. It ran for a couple of hours and was in the 'a few more things' stage when it decided to fail and roll everything back.

Now that it's back where I started, where do I start looking to try to find out what happened? I'm hoping it put some log files somewhere.

My first guess is that it's third-party drivers, will start by looking at those. There are several things which are old but still were working with Windows 8; I suppose one or more of these might not be compatible?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    Figured it out. Thanks for all the help.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009

Drivers?????????????

4. RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP MDL Senior Member

Feb 24, 2010

May be a registry permission issue. Possibly because it wasn't allowed to access a registry key or entry.

Or a file permission issue.

5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Funny (or not?) how many (even older) members asking for help, than figure out How To...... and didn't let other users know how they solved the problem. Forums like MDL are created for to help each other and NOT just for to get help without to pay back!

Sorry if I don't have any understanding for such behaviour!:eek:

6. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    lol, sorry about that. Was replying from my phone earlier.

I found some log files somewhere in the ~Windows.~bt folder, don't remember the exact path. It was failing on migrating a user profile. I deleted all the unused profiles from c:\users including one from 3 years ago from a former employer's domain. Then ran setup again, it succeeded.