Windows 8.1 upgrade for Windows To Go Usb stick

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by kevmegforest, Oct 31, 2013.

1. kevmegforest

kevmegforest MDL Novice

Feb 12, 2013
    I'd like to know how to update my windows 8 usb to go usb drive to windows 8.1 .
    Is there any official way or unofficial ones.

Thanks

2. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    Well, considering you can only officially make a Windows to Go drive with Enterprise, I'd say download the latest 8.1 Enterprise ISO.
    Install it on your system, and run the Windows to Go thing again.

3. kevmegforest

kevmegforest MDL Novice

Feb 12, 2013
    It doesn't work. The setup says that it can't do it for USB drive windows install

4. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    Maybe your USB drive does not meet the standards to be used for this purpose

5. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    If you used Windows To Go from Enterprise version, it works, except if your usb drive is not supported. Post a screenshot of the error, please. :)

6. NiFu

NiFu MDL Member

Jun 29, 2013
    This sentence contains a contradiction:
    If Windows To Go is used from Enterprise version, it can only be installed on supported usb drive.

What way do you have used to install ?
    The "Enterprise" way to install Windows 8 Enterprise ?
    Or the "imagex" or "dism" way to install Windows 8 / Pro ?

If you have installed Windows 8 / Pro with the "imagex" or "dism" way AND it's a 32 Bit version then you can install an alternative USB driver (search for "cfadisk"). This alternative USB driver recognizes the USB stick as hard disk.

7. Krutonium

Krutonium MDL Senior Member

Aug 27, 2013
    Or you can put your x64 version into Test Mode...

8. kevmegforest

kevmegforest MDL Novice

Feb 12, 2013
    I've used the "Enterprise" way with the windows to go setup from microsoft to setup my usb drive. It's not an officially supported drive from Microsoft, but i don' think it matters as long as it's usb3 and it's at least 64 GB. I'll post a screenshot of the error shortly.

9. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    It must be certified by MS, no way around. Tried this several times with different models and all went fine except those not on the list

10. kevmegforest

kevmegforest MDL Novice

Feb 12, 2013
    #10 kevmegforest, Oct 31, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
    (OP)
    Here's the screensot of the error and the link where it links.

My USB key is the Sandisk Extreme 64GB USB 3.0. It passed the windows to go setup and it works well
    h_ttp://i40.tinypic_com/10qmfqx.png
    h_ttp://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/system-requirements

Attached Files:

11. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    #11 coleoptere2007, Oct 31, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
    I think you ran the setup.exe from Enterprise to install the system to your USB drive. That's not the way to do it.
    You must install the Enterprise version to an HDD or VM and once done, go in control panel, click on Windows To Go and select your USB drive to process the installation on it.

12. kevmegforest

kevmegforest MDL Novice

Feb 12, 2013
    This is what I did. Searching windows to go from start screen on a Windows 8 enterprise desktop than follow the setup from the app with my USB key.

Is there any other way to do the update in an unofficial way.

Or do a backup of all the desktop apps and settings and files.

13. kevmegforest

kevmegforest MDL Novice

Feb 12, 2013
    No it doesn't work. It starts the setup, check for requirements than quit the setup without any warnings or additionnal information.

14. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    ok, so wait for other users information as i have no more ideas. :confused:

15. cmos

cmos MDL Junior Member

Sep 29, 2009
    just a thought, have tried both, x86 and x64 ?
    if you tried only x64, maybe x86 is more "permissive" ...

16. kevmegforest

kevmegforest MDL Novice

Feb 12, 2013
    Well my system is amd64, i can't use the x86 image to update it and I need UEFI support.

17. ODY123

ODY123 MDL Expert

Apr 20, 2011
    You can do it with any versions of win8/8.1 as long as you can get install.wim from the win8.1 ISO using the following method(only create, not upgrade):
    [FONT=&quot]How To Create Windows To Go USB drive in Windows 8/8.1[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Process[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1 To start you need to make sure that the USB drive is plugged in, then you need to open the command prompt as administrator. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]2 While in the Command prompt as administrator type the following and press Enter:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Diskpart [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]3 You’ll now need to list all the available disks on your system, type the following command your USB drive should now be listed and press Enter:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]list disk[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]4 Select your future Windows To Go USB drive by typing the next command and press Enter:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]select disk #[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Important:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Replace # with your USB drive number.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]5 Next you need to clean the partition, so type:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]clean[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]6 Now is the time to create the new partition, type the following command:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]create partition primary[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]7 Next, select and format the partition that you just created by entering this command:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]format fs=ntfs quick[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]8 Configure the partition to be active by typing:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]active[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]9 To finish with Diskpart just type the following and press Enter:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]exit[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]10 Now to the fun part, mount the Windows 8.1 ISO file by double clicking it, look for the install.wim file that it should be in the \sources\ folder and copy it to the folder where you have placed the Imagex.exe.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]11 Detect the USB drive letter and run the following command from the folder that has the Imagex.exe and now the install.wim:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]imagex.exe /apply install.wim 1 h:\[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Important:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Replace h with your USB drive letter.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Quick Tip:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] If you cannot see the USB drive in Computer, go to Disk Management identify the drive, right-click select Change drive letter and paths, and assign a new letter to the USB drive.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]12 When the above step is finished, you’ll need to configure the boot record in the Windows To Go USB drive. Type the following command:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]bcdboot.exe h:\windows /s h: /f ALL[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Important:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Replace h with your USB drive letter.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]And this was the last step, now you have just created a Windows To Go, the next step would be to test it out. Good Luck and have fun![/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Final note, make sure that your computer is configured to boot from the device you are about to use, e.g., USB drive. [/FONT]

18. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    As far as I understood the OP wants to upgrade WindowToGo from 8 to 8.1 :cool:

19. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    I told you. You have to have an 8.1 Enterprise installed system to re-make your USB to go drive. There doesn't seem to be an upgrade process for a USB to go drive.