Windows 8.1 USB Polling (Maybe reason for mouse-lag, too)

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by sunesio, Oct 6, 2013.

1. sunesio

sunesio MDL Novice

Aug 31, 2013
    Hey guys, this is worse than i thought.

Since i've had installed 8.1 i had some problems with my external USB 3.0 hard drive.
    (At least it's 3.0 compatible which is irrelevant since i am using USB 2 on my computer.)
    I have to plug it in and out for several times and it seems quite random until it got recognized.
    Thought maybe it was the fault of the hard drive itself, but no, works flawless on Windows 7 / 8.

So... then by coincidence i saw something. I've started the "mouserate checker" tool.
    As i have a Zowie AM mouse which is capable of switching it's polling rate by plugging it in and holding down a certain button i needed that, since i was cleaning my computer and wanted to get sure that i am on 1000hz.

Okay, long talk, BUT it's just showing me weird numbers with a maximum of 200hz.
    What we / i need are some experts. Not some of the "you should update your drivers" faction.
    I think this is a serious problem and this is connected to the hard drive problem.
    It does not matter if Standard Windows USB drivers are installed or the Intel ones.
    Like i said, i have only USB2 ports, but it works flawless on all other OS.

2. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    #2 EFA11, Oct 6, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
    I had to change my SATA drivers to AMD instead of what MS installs, to stop my USB3 and 2 from messing up. By messing up, they would constantly sleep and disconnect, even when files are transferring to them. As well as keyboard and mouse lag with wireless. Also using the AMD usb filter driver now too.

Without knowing your system specs it is hard to help really.

3. sunesio

sunesio MDL Novice

Aug 31, 2013
    Intel P45 Chipset. So, there is no difference between AMD and INTEL chipsets, so we can exclude that.
    Even between different generations of hardware, i guess.

4. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    EFA11, I believe that he/them need real experts, not some of the driver section or such. We are not satisfactory enough for that clientèle :roflmao:

5. sunesio

sunesio MDL Novice

Aug 31, 2013
    #5 sunesio, Oct 6, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
    (OP)
    C'mon you know what i mean. Hundreds of pages with things that don't help. Even your post is the perfect example of it.

Edit: Tbh, i was looking for some people who are connected to MS in certain ways, or at least that they see this as an real issue.

6. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    my point is the driver for my SATA controller was the problem with USB3/2 messing up. Have you tried other SATA controller drivers? I only have the issue with Win8 and Win8.1, more so with 8.1.

7. sunesio

sunesio MDL Novice

Aug 31, 2013
    I'm using a SSD, and a 2x RAID-0 HDD array. By default Windows is using it's Standard AHCI something drivers but i use the RST ones. Doesn't matter which one, as i've tried multiple ones.

8. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    That answers that, again if that was in the original post we wouldn't have to offer redundant suggestions.

9. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    #9 Stannieman, Oct 7, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    I have USB 3.0 Seagate and WD external hard disks that show up instantly and work perfectly on win 7/8 when connected to both USB 2.0/3.0 ports. This is without installing any USB 3.0 drivers at all except what comes through windows 8.

In win 8.1, getting the disk to be recognised is a trial and error and a game of chance. I hear a noise of something being connected, but no drive letters (and thus drive not usable). Go into disk management, assign a name to the disk, and then work with external hard disk.

Disconnect and reconnect, and I may have to repeat the whole process again. I am not moving from 8 to 8.1 at all till I can see these problems sorted out.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    Can you all check your device manager for errors on the usb controllers. Also, when playing sound, dus the sound stall for a second when connecting a device?

12. sunesio

sunesio MDL Novice

Aug 31, 2013
    lol, device manager is fine. that would be way too easy and obvious for this.

13. mydigitaldesktop

mydigitaldesktop MDL Junior Member

Sep 18, 2013
    1. Update your drivers is good advice. But you are missing the obvious implication there. This is NOT a case of "my device is wonky, check for driver updates" - it is a case of an O/S upgrade. There are lots of cases of serious driver issues surfacing in Windows 8.1 that are solved by a driver release that has been specifically updated by the manufacturer for Windows 8.1. Unless there is a readme file with the driver, one reasonable rule of thumb is the driver should be dated later than August 29, 2013. Updating to the "latest" driver when it has NO 8.1 updates is not going to achieve anything.

2. I personally had all the problems listed here with USB drives and the solution was actually not a driver. It was the DLNA explorer issue which has some really weird side effects. So try the fix for that.

3. Many of these weird issues will most likely go away after the Oct release when all sorts of drivers finally get updated.

14. ryan85

ryan85 MDL Novice

Aug 30, 2013
    I think the problem is just the mouse rate checker. I noticed this also but running DirectX mouse rate checker showed the normal polling rate.

15. eydee

eydee Guest

It may as well be low 5V voltage on the PSU. I'm not saying it is causing it on your computers, but something worth checking.