Windows 8.1: What enterprise users need to know

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by nenadso, Oct 18, 2013.

1. nenadso

nenadso MDL Novice

Oct 18, 2013
    Microsoft made available for download by the public as of October 17 the Windows 8.1 bits, as well as a few post-RTM updates to those bits. But what about enterprise customers?
    Microsoft execs said last month that enterprise customers would be able to access the Volume Licensing Service Center (VLSC) to get the Windows 8.1 Enterprise and 8.1 Pro bits, once they were made generally available. They noted at that time that Windows 8.1 (core) would not be available on VLSC.
    Those promised Enterprise and Pro bits are available as of today, October 18, in the VLSC, Microsoft officials said. However, I am hearing from some volume license customers that they cannot see any listing for Windows 8.1 in the VLSC and they're being issued trouble tickets.
    [h=3][/h]
    As Microsoft officials noted in an October 18 Springboard Series blog post, Windows 8.1 Enterprise cannot be updated via the Windows Store; it must be updated via the media from the VLSC.
    Customers can opt to do an in-place update of their existing Windows 8 Enterprise installations by using Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (MDT) 2013 or System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager, or by burning the media to a DVD or copy to a USB key.
    As a reminder: Anyone upgrading from Windows 8.1 Preview to Windows 8.1 GA should know that all applications — Windows Store and desktop/Win32 — need to be reinstalled as part of the update process.
    Microsoft's Springboard blog post includes information on how those interested in moving from earlier versions of Windows and/or non-Enterprise SKUs of Windows 8 can move to Windows 8.1. The post also includes information about how IT pros can update their key-management service servers and keys for activation.
    I've had a few users ask whether Microsoft plans to make Media (.ISO) updates available to the general public for Windows 8.1. The answer is no.
    A spokesperson noted that the only way to update a retail-activated Windows 8 computer to Windows 8.1 will be to go through the Windows Store and download the updated bits. However, .ISO-based updates will be supported for volume-license installations (as well as for TechNet, MSDN and DreamSpark subscribers).
    Why isn't Microsoft making the .ISO files broadly available for Windows 8.1? Another spokesperson told me it's because "8.1 was intended as an update for users with Windows 8 already installed." I know Windows Store downloads have been problematic for a number of users and spotty Internet has made downloading from the Store a challenge for some (especially outside the U.S.). But that's all Microsoft officials are saying right now about .ISOs.
    Users asking about how to update their Windows To Go versions of Windows 8: Microsoft officials say you'll have to reimage your existing drives as part of the deployment process.
    For those who haven't yet checked out Windows 8/8.1 Enterprise, Microsoft also made free 90-day trials of Windows 8.1 Enterprise .ISOs available today via its TechNet Evaluation Center.

taken from zdnet.

So this means no new iso for 8.1 Pro. :(

2. everesee

everesee MDL Senior Member

Mar 28, 2012
    This free 90-day trials of Windows 8.1 Enterprise .ISOs have GA rollup update ? If not, can we update it with windows update ?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. nenadso

nenadso MDL Novice

Oct 18, 2013
    I think it dont have, i read it somewhere. Only retail windows can be updated from store as far I know. For enterprise and VL versions u go on msdn to take update.

4. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    meh so there isn't. 3 or 4 updates from Windows Update and you are at GA anyway.

Plus this means more space on my hard drives for new stuff that comes along. Collectors of iso's shouldn't be upset. Hell, we collect what MS puts out, if one isn't out there is nothing to collect lol. Except those not so pure collectors who like to waste space on everything that is found (cough guilty here sometimes!)

5. nenadso

nenadso MDL Novice

Oct 18, 2013
    Nvm I will download now DreamSpark iso and burn it and do clean install. That is only way with retail cdkey, I cant wait for VL and Enterprise activators.

6. everesee

everesee MDL Senior Member

Mar 28, 2012
    And you're saying using this 90 day trial versions worthless? Ah, there must be a way for take Rollup update to this versions, in 90 days certainly there will be a KMS activation method...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. nenadso

nenadso MDL Novice

Oct 18, 2013
    #7 nenadso, Oct 18, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
    (OP)
    if you want enterprise version dont download that 90 day trial, go search torrent sites, there are allready few people uploaded enterprise iso.
    on msdn u can find enterprise iso with ga rollup included.

8. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    at best you can convert it to full version. This has nothing to do with activation but I can see no reason for loading a castrated unit when the real stuff is available :D
    here on MDL when copo brings in his magnets

9. =)(=

=)(= Guest

A fairy told me you have MSDN acc.. share this to us, come on! :D

en_windows_8_1_pro_vl_x64_dvd_2971948.iso
    CFCDF895679A5116F7F1C6406C20F99A1F850E49

10. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    no VL versions from my end any more. period
    only new enterprises which I give to copo

11. MSDNAA

MSDNAA MDL Senior Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Just give me three good reason(s) why do you need Pro VL over Multiple Editions

Thanks

12. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    I like.
    I want..
    I dunno...

damn I cant!

13. Jessica Alba

Jessica Alba MDL Expert

Jul 26, 2009
    that's good enough reasons for me:Lighten::roll1:

14. MSDNAA

MSDNAA MDL Senior Member

Aug 6, 2013
    LOL that's not good enough. Expecting more :D

15. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    1)Must...
    2)Collect...
    3)All...

16. rrohela

rrohela MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    MS is becoming more intelligent & thinks that by desperately mimic Apple's business model they will capture whole market. Downloading more than 3GB for each PC is a pain.

17. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    thankfully I don't have to do that now. MS created me an iso from windowsetupbox. dl'ed once and can transfer to all workstations weeee

check pm?

18. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    I had already upgraded all of my Windows 8 machines using the Wzor media so I have never bothered with the store update, don't see any point in it really.

Heck, I might just have to reinstall one to 8.0 just to see what the fuss is about.

19. heffeque

heffeque MDL Novice

Jun 23, 2010
    So... quick question.

I've got Windows 8 Enterprise (my company upgraded it from the "home" that came with the laptop).
    I can't easily upgrade it to 8.1 because it's not in the Store because it's Enterprise.

The question is...
    Can I upgrade it myself or does IT have to upgrade it for me?

I found a 6.46GB version of a thumb drive update for enterprises so I was wondering if that would work and if it needed re-activating or something.