Windows 8.1 With Bing reinstall to SSD for UK

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by twinbee, Jul 4, 2015.

1. twinbee

twinbee MDL Novice

Jul 4, 2015
    #1 twinbee, Jul 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
    I've been through hell and back trying to reinstall Windows 8.1 back to a new SSD drive. I finally found out that I have the silly "With Bing" flavour, and am wondering about my next action. You can read about my experience over at the Windows 8 forums if you search Google for "Windows 8 laptop HDD dead? Pondering resurrection options" (I can't link directly, since I'm new here). My system details are also included in post 11 of that relatively short thread (I have an Acer Aspire laptop).

Basically, I am looking for the en-GB 'Windows with Bing' ISO. I also want the correct checksum to verify it's bona fida. Is it allowed to post a direct or indirect link to the aforementioned?

2. MenaceRx

MenaceRx MDL Novice

Jul 3, 2015
    I just had to reload two Hp 15 cheap POS laptops that come with 8.1 w/Bing. The ISO's in this thread worked for me and activated automatically using the BIOS keys in the firmware. What you are looking for might be found in this thread. Good luck.

[h=2]Windows 8.1 with Bing - AKA CoreConnected, CCSL, and ProfessionalStudent OEM images[/h]

3. MenaceRx

MenaceRx MDL Novice

Jul 3, 2015
    Wouldnt let me, i am to new to post links from within the site. Kind dumb in my opinion but no biggie.

4. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    Yeah, I know mate. ;)

We had a lot of scammers and spammers turn up a while ago, and the Admin's/Mod's had to take action.

5. MenaceRx

MenaceRx MDL Novice

Jul 3, 2015
    No biggie, I am an IT guy have been for 15 years. I understand the struggle. It's real.

6. twinbee

twinbee MDL Novice

Jul 4, 2015
    #7 twinbee, Jul 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
    (OP)
    Thanks guys - downloading as I speak! It is the US version, but I'm from the UK. Is that okay? No leaks for the UK version I take it?

What software would you recommend to transfer from .img to a bootable pen drive?

I'm using the excellent and super-easy-to-use IgorWare hasher for the checksum.

7. MenaceRx

MenaceRx MDL Novice

Jul 3, 2015
    There are a couple tools out there that can take the ISO you download from here and convert it into a USB Bootable image. RUFUS is one of them, ISO to USB is another. I would give one of those a shot. Should work for you.

8. twinbee

twinbee MDL Novice

Jul 4, 2015
    #9 twinbee, Jul 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
    (OP)
    And it works! Thanks to everyone here - it installed without a hitch. Unlike all the other editions, this one didn't ask for a key this time (as per the info available on the web).

Nightmare over. :D I wish Microsoft would get their act together and unify the editions.