Windows 8.1 x64 - black screen only on reboot

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by gunter, Jun 4, 2014.

1. gunter

gunter MDL Novice

Oct 19, 2013
    #1 gunter, Jun 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
    I have very strange problem with Windows 8.1 x64 and AMD Catalyst drivers (ASUS R7 260X CU OC 2GB). First I clean installed windows 8.1 but when i installed AMD Catalyst drivers then boom, just a black screen. Nothing helped just reboot but if you reboot computer its the same just black screen. Only solution is if you shut down computer. I tried to install every possible driver from AMD site and also beta drivers, i tried also drivers from ASUS (CD and website). Every time I did a clean driver install (using DDU in safe mode). Weird thing is that this issue is only when you reboot computer, none of this problems if you shut down computer and then start with start button.
    Please help if you have solution for this problem
    SPEC:
    AMD FX-Series FX-8320
    ASUS M5A97 R2.0
    ASUS R7 260X CU OC 2GB
    Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz
    Samsung SSD disk 120GB 840 EVO
    ATX 650W CorsairVS

2. eydee

eydee Guest

Try the card in another computer.

3. wzrdrcr

wzrdrcr MDL Novice

Jun 23, 2011
    Use amd removal tool first

Per ATI tech support use there removal tool before installing latest driver for your card. It worked on my Compaq cq57 with apu 6300e chipset

4. gunter

gunter MDL Novice

Oct 19, 2013
    wzrdrcr I also used amdcleanuputility.exe with DDU, I did cleared every trace of old ati driver.
    eydee I don't have one more computer to test graphic card but I think the problem must be with amd drivers or win 8.1 but there is nothing to read in event log.

5. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    amd cleanup utility is likely the problem, it deletes more than the driver files, avoid like the plague

Use DDU only - you might need to reinstall windows to fix it first, or system restore to before the first time you used AMDs utility

6. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    when you have blk screen, try and use function key +bright screen depending on your Asus.
    This messed me up once lol with ASUS and AMD. just try, your pc maybe running ok, just the screen is too dim..:D