Windows 8/10 UEFI recovery questions

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by mk2soldier, Aug 25, 2017.

1. mk2soldier

mk2soldier MDL Novice

Jun 2, 2014
    Hi guys, I would like to know more about the Windows recovery on x86/64 systems equipped with UEFI firmware, in particular I would like to know if there is a way to trigger the Recovery screen (the Metro style one "Advanced startup") without going to "Settings/Update&Security/Recovery/Advanced startup".
    Also, is this "system" embedded in a EFI binary or the bootmgfw.efi (or bootx64.efi) bootstraps it from elsewhere?

Are there some gurus/experts around here that can answer my question?

Thank you very much
    Have a nice day :)

2. cbsvitzer

cbsvitzer MDL Member

Feb 4, 2010
    Hold down Shift key while restarting
    That should trigger Advanced Startup

3. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    From an Admin CMD Prompt you can also run "reagentc /boottore" then "shutdown -r -f -t 0".

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. mk2soldier

mk2soldier MDL Novice

Jun 2, 2014
    Thank you, I didn't know about this trick :)
    However is there a similar method in case the system (Windows 10) won't be able to reach the desktop/login screen? Like Windows 7 with the F8 key

5. mk2soldier

mk2soldier MDL Novice

Jun 2, 2014
    Didn't know about this either, thanks

6. raybes

raybes MDL Novice

Aug 20, 2016
    I'm curious about this as well, but I think you may have to boot from a copy of windows 10 (DVD or USB) if you can't get to any GUI.

7. mehdibleu

mehdibleu MDL Expert

Jun 14, 2017
    yes, there is a comman line that you can run which will allow you to access recovery options at startup in case your normal session is not accessible anymore for some reason, that's very easy, all you have to do is going to command prompt (in admin mode) then type this :

Code:
    bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy
    This way, you will be able to access recovery options simply by pressing F8 key quickly at startup

8. brownimfc

brownimfc MDL Senior Member

Jan 25, 2015
    If Windows fails to boot 3 times in a row it will automatically enter the recovery environment.