Windows 8.1RTM Personalization bug with a working work-around

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by warlordll, Sep 11, 2013.

1. warlordll

warlordll MDL Member

Apr 25, 2011
    Ok late yesterday i had a bug after reinstalling win 8.1 RTM that would'nt allow me to change the background on my start menu, after reading tons of posts i found a working work-around to fix this for me and its very simple to do.

Step 1: Open Run and type gpedit.msc and press ok. you can right click the start button to do this :)

1.PNG

Step 2: On the left hand side of the new window navigate to User Configuration\ Administrative Templates\ Start Menu and Taskbar

prevent users.PNG

Step 3: Double click on Prevent users from customizing their start screen and if its not already done so set it to disabled, it should be set as Not Configured by default. See below:

prevent 2.PNG

Step 4: Reboot for new settings to take effect.

i hope this helps others as this took me a few days to solve as MDL was down and i have no knowledge of any other posts made before i have made my simple guide.

Ps i used several programs to change it myself but they all had bad results, some wouldnt even open or install.

2. palbertsma

palbertsma MDL Member

Jun 3, 2009
    I just wonder if this could be a solution to those who still have an unactivated Windows 8.1?:confused: Would it be possible to overrule the disability of personalize during the time Windows 8.1 is still unactivated?

Has anybody tried this, and what is the outcome? I'm just curious to know!:biggrin:

3. kevinsipah843

kevinsipah843 MDL Novice

Jun 29, 2013
    i know the solution ............

buy retail key

4. warlordll

warlordll MDL Member

Apr 25, 2011
    #4 warlordll, Sep 11, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
    (OP)
    Have no idea if that would work or not as i used my own key to activate...just thought i post here about a bug i found and work-around to fix the problem myself..however i could test this theory if you want its nps with me..takes me 7 mins to do full install via usb anyway :)...i'll update this post if it works. The best way to describe the bug i had so no ones gets confused with the "you have not activated windows" personalize scenario is like this...when i use the settings on the charm bar to get to the personalization option it would send me to the windows desktop personalization window instead of the start menu one..this workaround solved this problem i had..its that simple :)

5. palbertsma

palbertsma MDL Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Thanks for your reply!

I was just curious; I activated my copy with my bought retail key. But this might be of great importance to those who haven't activated (yet), and do want to personalize their Windows 8.1!

If it really is no problem, please let us know if this is possible.

6. slyr114

slyr114 MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2013
    I tried this but for some reason its still not working :( I used my legit school Windows 8 key to activate Windows 8.1 after the install. It said it activated fine but for some reason i still cant access the personalization options :( Next to my This copy is activated there is a button that gives me this when i click it. Your use of this software is subject to the terms and conditions of the license agreement by which you acquired this software. If you are a volume license customer, use of this software is subject to your volume license agreement. You may not use this software if you have not validly acquired a license for the software from Microsoft or its licensed distributors. EULAID:WinBlue_R8_1_ED_PS_V_en-us

7. slyr114

slyr114 MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2013
    I figured it out, at least what my issue was. To get to start menu personalization like color and stuff you need to open the start menu first, then open the charms bar, then click personalization. This will take you to the start menu and metro customization stuff. Actually it just opens a little sidebar window now but it was exactly what i was looking for.

8. nicesoni_ash

nicesoni_ash MDL Novice

Nov 21, 2008
    Holly molly. How stupid I was or may be this was hidden way inside. I have searched hundreds of help topics for this stuff and no one suggested that I need to open this charm option inside the start menu. Anyways that did helped me so thanks a lot. :)

9. slyr114

slyr114 MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2013
    Haha i felt the exact same way when i found out it was that simple.

10. earlytomid

earlytomid MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2013
    i just found out my Personalize option from Start screen/Charms doesn't work anymore (just a week or so old activated 8.1). nothing happens when i click it and on 2nd click outside the Charms Bar it closes the Bar (Personalize option works just fine in Desktop). manually running "SettingsPane_{911DD688-AEBA-4214-8C58-9C8FBC8C0710}" just brings me to the Start screen. i never bothered to access it since i set my system up and now i can't figure out what might have caused this since there're not many applications, etc installed. i tried the method in OP and it didn't help. any ideas would be appreciated.