Windows 8 / 7 Windows Update

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Carel, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Carel

Carel MDL Member

Oct 11, 2009
    I am experiencing this weird problem. I've downloaded all updates for Windows 8 into a folder. There is quite a lot of them and I am not going to click on each and every one of them and wait for each of them to install so I used WinToolkit. The problem is that in the "View Installed Updates" section of Windows Update is shows that all of those updates have been installed by WinToolkit but when running Windows Update it still shows some of those updates which have already been installed?

0.) Has anyone ever tried "W8Eval2Kms" or know of similar tools that can convert Windows 8 Enterprise Evaluation to the real thing?
    1.) Is there a better tool / way to install Windows Updates from a folder?
    2.) Is there a way I can maybe refresh Windows Update so it can "know" that those updates have already been installed (I am not sure whether FixIt will help, I will try it)?

2. NICK@NUMBER11

NICK@NUMBER11 MDL Expert

Mar 23, 2010
  3. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    You can also use my installer script (see signature). Select option 'C', then option 2. It will only install the updates that haven't already been installed, will install the LDR version (preferable) over the GDR version if both are present, and also install the GDR version for WU satisfaction as some updates require both versions to be installed (LDR takes precedence when both are installed this way). Installing both versions for all updates is unnecessary and just consumes disk space.

4. Carel

Carel MDL Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Hey guys, thanks these scripts worked. However, is there a tool you guys can recommend to me which can be used like BitKinex, AnyClient or Tortoise SVN to download updates from the McRip repository? I used Internet Download Manager, but it doesn't download the items in the folders as on the site, it downloads everything in one directory and it sucks because I have to install stuff like IE9 first before I can install its updates. The same goes for other components.

5. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    heldigard had a updown8 v1.3 or something in his nano releases for a while that is supposed to be able to help convert.

I SERIOUSLY would not recommend using those programs over a real MSDN final build 9200 RTM though.
    I do quite a lot of hotfix integration myself, and I can tell say that you are probably better off doing one of two things:
    1) Use Windows/Microsoft Update
    2) Use dism /online /add-package /packagepath:c:\your-MSUfile-directory

The advantage of using those two methods over a script is that they will pre-sort all of the files and install them in an order that will hopefully not cause any errors that running each kb file sequentially might have.
    Windows update is slightly better as it will not download any outdated kb files. You probably wouldn't hurt anything by installing outdated kb files, but they will slow your system a little bit if you get enough of them.

6. Carel

Carel MDL Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Yes, now I know that - before now I didn't. Although I must say that The W8Eval2Kms works 100%. I am currently using it with no problems whatsoever, but am kind of pissed about Windows 8 - luckily it's cheaper than Windows 7. I found it to be slower in Games than Windows 7. All system files are the same whether you are using the Enterprise Evaluation or the Enterprise itself - basically it is just the tokens and some parts of the registry that differs. If you copy the ones from a real Enterprise over the Evaluation then it should be the same. I did this back in the days of Windows XP x64 too. The reason for this is that I got the Evaluation before I decided I really want it, so I've already started to use it and didn't want to format just for a re-install to the same thing. Thanks guys for the explaining - I have never before update windows offline before, but now I do not have internet at home (or at least very fast internet), only at University. I will then in future just use Windows Update to update offline. Thanks for all the explaining & help.