Windows 8. A great thing for tablets. A bad thing for PC?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Roguetomato, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Roguetomato

Roguetomato MDL Novice

Oct 8, 2012
    I have heard many rumors that windows 8 is great for tablets and runs very smoothing...however is very power hungry for pc and has a lot of unnecessary features for PC. Is this true? Should I stick with 7?

2. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    rumors are rumors :druff:

3. ineedh3lp

ineedh3lp MDL Junior Member

Jan 17, 2011
    If it is tablet-friendly then it most certainly is PC-friendly too resource-wise. As for the work flow, you can make Windows 8 feel just like Windows 7 through the help of various applications and tweaks. If you do not experience issues with Windows 8, there's no solid reason not to use it.

4. moderate

moderate MDL Guru

Aug 31, 2009
    #4 moderate, Oct 9, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
    well, actually it is less power hungry...
    ...also some features were removed and system was simplified...
    ...even some services are missing...

...the thing, what I am not very happy about, is the simplification for BFUs:
    ...for example on W7, when you installing "combined" (what is the right word? composite?) USB device, you will get this:
    Devices.jpg
    on Windows 8, you will just get message in style "it was installed, so just be happy and give us the break"...

5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Don't give a s**t about those rumors and "advice's" even circulating on this forum! To many are just having an "destructive" mind and go against everything which isn't fit in their "form"! In extreme, a lot are posting negative content's even never using or used Windows 8 on their own!

Best advice would be:
    Check System Requierments BEFORE installing a new OS
    Check Recommondation on Developers Website
    Check Developers website for Bug's, incompatibilities
    Check for supported or unsupported Hardware and/or Driver on Developers website
    Follow advice of Developer for installation
    Create an bootable System Backup after installing the OS
    Create Restore point's BEFORE installing new Apps, a single restore point for any single Apps Installation
    Test every apps directly after installation

All of that will limit problems you may get and also give you a pictures what shouldn't be done again.

Be careful with System Tools include AV and Firewall Software, Software which alter essential system settings.

For to get an good picture of the new OS, the only way to find out is to test with caution and for sure not to listen to others, judge on your own. Every user and every system differs and so will the use of that OS.

That's just my honest 2 Satang's (Thailand Cent).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Real wise men learn from their own mistakes and what they had done wrong! Wise men didn't learn from what others had done, they try on their own!

Not so wise men take over what others tell them and declare is as good or bad!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Roguetomato

Roguetomato MDL Novice

Oct 8, 2012
    Thanks! Would you recommend it for gaming or is it too soon and not compatible with most games?

8. luke

luke MDL Senior Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Windows 8 is like a rock on my system and i use it for gaming, programming and modeling I've never had any problems with it, buggy and unstable for people that install crap onto there systems thats ment to run on windows XP.

It wont have any problems playing any of the games that run on win7.

9. Brainsuck

Brainsuck MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2009
    As I see it win 8 was not tested right no leaks between dp cp rp and ms did not lock the code till rtm That makes it buggy no Mce until the 26th can test my Tv tuners or apps that I use for it at least can change Mce themes With program we are making Base on Media Center Studio with new engine for 8

10. zbteck

zbteck MDL Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Fifa 2k13 no working for me.:(

11. Cosmic101

Cosmic101 MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2012
    I would have to agree with many of the other posts that the best thing you can do is try windows 8 for yourself.
    It's totally stable on my system and i have had no compatibility issues on my desktop PC, and the older laptops i tried it on, have only had issues with out of date drivers for their graphic cards, i had to use drivers from vista as the manufactures had never updated them. I did find that windows 8 seem to ran faster then windows 7.(This was just how i felt, the system felt before and after not scientific at all):biggrin:
    And the system minimum system requirements are the same for windows 7 & 8

• Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster
    • RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)
    • Hard disk space: 16 GB (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
    • Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver

Give it a try and a bit of time, to get the feel of it and the new metro UI and you'll love it. And just ignore all the doom Sayers.
      A brave step in innovation when everything looks the same from one generation to the next.

12. MeMy&Myself

MeMy&Myself MDL Junior Member

Sep 5, 2012
    TRY IT. Give it a week and try it for real (dont install gay stuff like start buttons and things to turn it into win7) then decide urself.

13. brut7

brut7 MDL Member

Jun 9, 2007
    #16 brut7, Oct 12, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
    Treating this from a PRACTICAL, IT standpoint;

Windows 8 preinstalled on touch screen tablets and all in one touchscreen PC's will be fine.
    For PC workstations and classic laptops everything stays on 7 or even XP in the case of lesser hardware (which I would prefer to junk anyway but...).
    The move to windows 8 is far to difficult for the average user and offers much difficulty for them. Most will outright reject it so why bother?
    For many people it took decades to get them to just a level of basic windows literacy in a classic (win95-win7) environment.
    I work with people that can't even navigate folders, "You want to do what? Navigate to c/programfilesx86/adobe? What? Where is that?" I'm talking about Lawyers, Acountants and Secretaries here. Some exceptions of course, people can have 8 if they want it but I'm going to sit them down on an 8 PC and say, go ahead, play, see if you like it before i lay it on their machine. Sure I learned it; was on the betas... took time made it my primarie OS etc... but thats because I'm enthusiastic and I need to as well, it's my business to be windows literate and more of course.

I make the analogy that windows 8 for the above mentioned people is like the new uncomfortable pair of shoes that has to break in your feet before they get comfortable or never get comfortable and will always hurt your feet.

I do hope MS will make a worthy successor to 7 for standard PC's. Perhaps it could be branded as Windows Classic or Windows Business.

If not, I would expect Linux and Mac and Android to take more market share over time and MS will be losing their core BUSINESS.

Best Wishes

14. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    #17 pisthai, Oct 12, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
    Seems to be you live in an old style world!:cool:

In Thailand that's quite different! People are eager to get Windows 8 up and running and that applies also to Lawyers, Accountant's, Manager's and so on! I've only 2 corporate customers who still using Windows XP and that because of an old style Accounting Apps which could max run on XP and for sure because of the Thai language. At the moment we're working on developing a new accounting Apps which will be able to use that data from the old system. The problem is the language. But I think another month and we're ready to change. Except a few error's we could now migrate the data to the new system. The new one will also be work well over the Internet using for both, Internet and Intranet access via Web-Browser, mainly IE10 and Chrome 20++

15. Akko

Akko MDL Junior Member

Aug 21, 2009
    Nope. They just concentrate on the business at hand, not on the tool.

Windows (and particularly Linux) is like a car which requires you to be a mechanician for driving.
    That is pure anachronism. And with W8 it became worse.

16. Mr Theme

Mr Theme MDL Novice

Sep 13, 2012
    His world is more common than yours seems.... yours is odd world

This words maybe can clear Pisthai people living in that world, and until the tool shows really to be better and more productive(which in fact 8 isn't with that useless apps), normal and productive people will not relearn to discover same things done before with more time....

17. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    With Linux you're just right, but Windows! People who're lazy for to adopt new ways etc. will never admitting that something is changed to the better on one hand. On the other hand, it's depend on the very personal point of view what's good, better or bad with new new systems. The increasing automation isn't the best at all times!

To say something is odd is an personal statement which applies just to that person who told that. Everybody has his/her own view and that is good.

At this point of time, while Windows 8 isn't released to the public yet, it's pitty to write such statement. As I wrote before, give Windows 8 min. 3 month time in public use to see what this OS will achieve in normal daily use.

It would be just fair to let those decide good or bad, who'll will or have to use that OS daily for work. Unfortunate fairness is something many (or better all) expect to get from others but hardly giving the same back.