Windows 8 Activation after SSD Swap

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Unholypanda, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Unholypanda

Unholypanda MDL Novice

Apr 26, 2013
    I just replaced my Vertex 4 with an 840 Pro and now Windows 8 isn't activating. Normally I'm good at this stuff but I'm almost at my wits end. I have a legitimate copy of Windows 8 Pro upgraded to Windows 8 Pro with Media Center. I have tried both keys to activate. My Windows 8 Pro key just says that I need a MCE key. When I use my MCE key it just says that I can't use it because it is an upgrade key on a retail install. I have tried changing the MediaBootInstall key in OOBE and rearming but when trying to rearm it just says that I can't use that on a "non-core" version of Windows 8. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    If you use an legit Key, call to MS (using Phone Activation) and chose to speak with some employee. Explain what changes you had done and ask for to get activated. You may should have your Product/Installation ID ready because you'll need them. I don't see any problem for not to get activated.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Unholypanda

Unholypanda MDL Novice

Apr 26, 2013
    I can't get to the Installation/Product ID screen. Using slui 4 just takes me to a buy a new key screen.

4. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Settings-->change PC settings doesn't get you to activate by phone option? When calling them I'd make things very unpleasant for M$!!! Either they activate at once or they have to refund.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    The corect way is:
    MS has Toll Free Numbers in many countries. I've only the Numbers for VL Licenses and not Retail. Maybe that will also works for retail if explain the supported numbers isn't available for you or they give you the right one. It's depend how you communicate with them! First, after call is taken, you'll get on automated voice and need to chose your action, go untill it explains what to do to contact an MS officer in person and that you has to chose.

Post your Country and I'll post the Phone number.

6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
  7. rrohela

rrohela MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Right but in this case his activation ID will not work coz os is pro+wmc & he tried rearm & all other nasty stuff like slmgr to change key & all... i am sure that all that rewritten tokens & has no previous activation info left... Let's see what op has to say....

8. Unholypanda

Unholypanda MDL Novice

Apr 26, 2013
    Ya unfortunately I have tried a lot after calling MS support earlier in the day to no avail. I was transferred 4 times and then a tier 1 tech wanted to remote into my computer before I even explained the problem further. In the end I just ran an activator as a temporary fix until I care to reinstall. It's bulls**t though even when I buy an OS I just end up pirating it anyways.

9. rrohela

rrohela MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Activator???? you mush have installed hactivator.

10. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Na....! That say's enough. Claim to having a legit key and use an Activator? Why we should help for that?!:mad:

11. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
  12. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    You could always try installing Windows7 and Upgrading as it was intended too?

13. anarchist9027

anarchist9027 MDL Expert

Oct 30, 2010
    A clean install of Windows 8 and the activation of the key via phone or internet will be it.

14. Unholypanda

Unholypanda MDL Novice

Apr 26, 2013
    I realize that. Anyways the hacktivator didn't work and the activation window still pops up randomly and I cant use UpDown8 because my user files and such are on a different drive than my OS so that kinda sucks. IDK what else to do at this point besides reinstall.

15. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Would highly recommend starting from scratch in that case, as you donĀ“t know which system components are already affected. In your case it can prevent getting activated even if you manage to downgrade.

16. Unholypanda

Unholypanda MDL Novice

Apr 26, 2013
    So after running MTK and installing AutoKMS I can at least use slmgr now. Anyone have any idea on getting the MediaBootInstall thing to let me re-activate with my legit key? I tried creating the MediaBootInstall key and setting it to 0, rearming, and then using my key but no luck still says it can only be used for upgrades, not retail installs.

17. rrohela

rrohela MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Now what are you trying to do? Activating Pro only or pro+wmc? You can't activate pro+wmc without first activating pro & then user wmc upgrade key.....

18. Unholypanda

Unholypanda MDL Novice

Apr 26, 2013
    I read somewhere that someone having this issue just needed to use his WMC upgrade key as the activation key and it worked.

Also I read somewhere that MS removed the MediaBootInstall key in a recent Windows update.