Windows 8 and Microsoft Office 2010

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by scoutmaster329, Nov 18, 2012.

1. scoutmaster329

scoutmaster329 MDL Novice

Nov 18, 2012
    I just upgraded from windows 7 to windows 8 Pro. I did not uninstall Office 2010 beforehand. Now when I attempt to run Office 2010, I get a pop-up window giving me three options to choose from:

I already purchased Office 2010
    Go online to purchase Office 2010
    Use Office Starter 2010

I click on the first one to activate office 2010 since I already purchased it back in June 2012 and activated it then. I get another pop-up: To install Microsoft Office 2010 you must have a valid product key. Product keys for earlier versions of Office are not valid.

Since I had office 2010 installed prior to upgrading to windows 8 I entered the product key again. It comes back telling me that the key is not a valid Office Product Key.

I was not aware of any issues or having to do anything with office 2010 prior to upgrading to windows 8. I would appreciate any and all help in fixing this problem and avoiding losing any documents, powerpoints, excel files being deleted as I get this problem with office 2010 and windows corrected.

Thank you;
    Mike M.

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Disconnect from the Internet first. After that start to activate Office again. If you get the option to call MS, just do that and try to speak to an MS Employee for to help you with activation.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...