Windows 8, another experimental or conceptual Windows?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by aarongreater, Dec 3, 2012.

1. aarongreater

aarongreater MDL Novice

Oct 17, 2009
    #1 aarongreater, Dec 3, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
    I don't want to fool myself, and I have to commit that comparing to Windows 7, Windows 8 is not one mature operating system, but just goes one further step in the future computing platform. Even though metro is amazing, but the performance and apperance is not that good as what I ever consider of, for some little jobs such as file copy. The font is not nice as it in Windows 7, but the very similar feeling with Windows Vista. Windows 8 emphasizes the Metro and WinRT API too a lot, but eliminates the importance the traditional desktop environment. It has the greater thinking rather than the greater performance.

For years, the computer game and some web based applications are very different from desktop program. Take some computer game for example, it does not need the frame what tradtional GUI provides, it could take over totally by the computer game itself for performance issue. But those kinda things limited in desktop environment seems a bit ironic. The Metro or WinRT environment provides the greatest way to solve this problem. Isolating the desktop as dominant role in all Windows GUI environment gives way to the real apps and unlimit that fixed interface mechanism. In Windows 8, Desktop represents as one metro application in parallel with other metro apps such as IE10, Finance and that kind. Even though as this moment, there is no other desktop managers rather than explorer, but with help of metro/WinRT, and potential future APIs in kernel layer, one third party desktop manager could also represent in the form of Metro App and coexist with desktop. This phenomenon is similar but different from it in Unix-like GUI environment. That is to say Metro/WinRT extend the whole Windows system too a lot and advance in more than one step.

Windows RT is much similar as Windows 8, it also has employed traditional desktop environment for supporting very limited desktop-based programmes, such as slimmed Office 2013 for Windows RT. This leaves us one greatest problem, is that to say Windows RT without capability to run desktop programmes, or just be restrict not to let run? If the latter I guess is right, Windows RT is not more than one ARM version of Windows 8. But for further version of Windows RT, I think Microsoft would eventually get rid of desktop environment and represent Office RT in the pure Metro app, if Metro is even successful. Nvidia Tegra 3, in my opinion, is great in performance, at least it has quad cores. It has most potential capabilities to support the whole Windows system not only for Windows RT. If Microsoft could fulfill later version of Windows RT, enable it to run desktop applications, the ARM would have its part in real desktop platform. But if Microsoft just wants Windows RT acts as one pure comsume product, I don't think it could support other desktop application than Office RT.

To my greatest apologies, I still love Windows 7 and Windows 8 could just put as one evaluating products for future use...

2. Sugadevan

Sugadevan MDL Junior Member

Feb 20, 2011
    Windows 8 doesn't eliminates the importance of traditional desktop environment, Its one click away with lot of improvements, windows 8 have greater performance than windows 7, well atleast for me :p

"Windows RT is not more than one ARM version of Windows 8" Get clear..Windows RT is meant only for ARM devices, nothing more then tht! same as iPad. Windows RT wont support any desktop applications unless itis recoded for ARM architecture.. Office 2013 is touch optimized, its already sort of metrofied :)
    Surface PRO with i5 processor can run the full windows 8, will be available from January.

Windows 7 is next XP, but Windows 8 is the future :)

3. Romar31

Romar31 MDL Novice

Oct 30, 2012
    "comparing to Windows 7, Windows 8 is not one mature operating system"
    After more than a month of using windows 8, i have never missed any windows 7 features other than the start menu. Windows 8 has all the capabilities of windows 7 with just the metro interface added. Its like you have 2 environments to choose from unlike on windows 7 which has only the classic environment we get used to. And as i can see, my programs a lot snappier and the os manages system memory really well.

"
    Even though metro is amazing, but the performance and apperance is not that good as what I ever consider of, for some little jobs such as file copy."
    You can stay on the classic desktop if you wish too. Metro won't stop you. And hey, isn't copying/moving files done at the desktop/classic ui? Also, lots of reviews have proven that windows 8 beats windows 7 when it comes to copying and moving files.

"Windows 8 emphasizes the Metro and WinRT API too a lot, but eliminates the importance the traditional desktop environment. It has the greater thinking rather than the greater performance"

It is because Microsoft thought that its traditional desktop environment has proven its stability and performance (as you've seen in windows 7) that is why they have just added a a couple of tweaks to it which is seen in windows 8 and of course focus on the new environment.

"
    Windows RT is much similar as Windows 8"
    No.

"I think Microsoft would eventually get rid of desktop environment and represent Office RT in the pure Metro app"
    I don't think so. That is why Ms has introduced Windows RT.

"I
    f Microsoft could fulfill later version of Windows RT, enable it to run desktop applications, the ARM would have its part in real desktop platform."
    Won't happen, desktop applications made for x86 and x64 will never run on ARM processors. These processors have different instruction sets.

"Microsoft just wants Windows RT acts as one pure consume product, I don't think it could support other desktop application than Office RT."
    RT, RT, RT, RT...... Obviously, intel/amd based applications wont run on ARM chips.

To my greatest apologies, I still love Windows 7 and Windows 8 could just put as one evaluating products for future use.
    Wait. as i read your statement it seems that you haven't tried x86/x64 version of Windows 8 yet. You focused much on criticizing Windows RT and said that your windows 7 is a hell lot faster than it. Well, THAT'S FREAKIN' OBVIOUS because Windows RT is not a full desktop operating system, Windows 8(without the RT) is.